Local history and heritage
It did not take long for the Basildon Development Corporation to begin building.
The Master Plan, published in 1977 set the proposed population at 130,000. In the early years the development of houses, shops, factories, community and recreation facilities, and schools went at a pace. The first junior and infant school at Swan Mead was completed in 1954 and one year later the Council changed its name from Billericay to Basildon Urban District Council, emphasising the increasing influence of the New Town.
It was the Council's responsibility to work with the Basildon Development Corporation to help build the community spirit of the New Town.
This was achieved through Community and Tenants' Associations as well as providing, in its own right, housing and the sporting and recreation facilities enjoyed by so many today.
The site of the Barstable neighbourhood with the Fryerns neighbourhood taking shape in the background - March 1954
Fryerns - A typical early housing development