The George Hurd Activity Centre
The George Hurd Activity Centre is a lively, friendly and bustling daytime venue for the new town's older generation to meet and socialise in the very heart of Basildon.
Originally established in 1969 by Councillor George Hurd, the centre has been established in a brand new purpose built complex since May 2008.
Address:The George Hurd Activity CentreAudley WayBasildonEssexSS14 2FL
Phone: 01268 205305
How to find us: View Location Map & Get Directions
George Hurd Centre opening times
- Open Monday to Friday 9.00am till 4.30pm, (closed on bank holidays).
Facilities, activities, entertainment and day trips
- Activities, crafts, fitness and dance classes - Most classes still have places available, please contact the office for details.
- Snooker room, lounge and dining room
- Hairdresser: Monday to Friday
- Reflexology - every 2 weeks on a Thursday (appointment necessary)
- Regular entertainment events
- Special events: dinners and seasonal celebrations
- Numerous day trips per year, including shopping trips, London shows, Rambles, coastal tours and other places of interest and entertainment.
Weekly activities and planned day trips
There are no planned trips this year.
Specialised transport to and from the activity centre
We can help arrange specialised community transport to and from the George Hurd Activity Centre for those who need it. For further information see Basildon Community Transport Services.
Membership is open to anyone over the age of 50.
Membership fees (April to March):
- £44 per annum household membership for residents within the Basildon borough.
- £46 per annum household membership for residents outside the Basildon borough.
Due to an investment donation membership fees for 2020/21 are significantly less than for 2019/20. Members should be aware that fees will most likely have to be increased again in 2021/22.
New membership applications are always welcome. All you have to do is to complete and return the following application form:
- - Microsoft Word format. You can save this application form and then complete it on your device before printing.
- - Adobe Acrobat format. You can print this application form and then complete it by hand.
- Membership forms are also available from the George Hurd Centre office.
Return of completed membership application forms and payment of fees
- Please return your completed application form to the George Hurd Activity Centre, Members' Committee Office in person so that you can arrange payment of your membership fees.
- When fee payment has been arranged our staff will prepare your Membership Pack and welcome you as a member of the George Hurd Activity Centre.
The members' committee and website
The George Hurd Activity Centre supports a members' committee. The members' committee meets regularly to put forward suggestions for day trips, events and entertainment. The committee also has its own website: