Creating Opportunity

Important changes to the way Local Council Tax Support applications will be processed from 6th August 2014 until further notice

Following a High Court decision against Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council's use of a "residency test" when considering applications for Local Council Tax Support , it has been decided that until further notice, Basildon Council will suspend its use of a "residency test" when considering applications for Local Council Tax Support.

Therefore from 6 August 2014 until further notice, all applications received for Local Council Tax Support will be determined without the "residency test" being applied.

For further information about the "residency test" see About Local Council Tax Support.

Want to ask a question about your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support?, then ask it here.


Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are two welfare benefits administered by Basildon Council in order to provide financial support to people who are on a low income or unemployed, for the payment of housing rent and Council Tax.

Benefits Online Services Image icon - Laptop Use Benefits online services to submit applications, inform us of changes and view your account details 24 hours a day. Apply for benefit or support Image icon - Apply We offer a paper-free benefit claims process to take the hassle out of daunting paperwork. Change of Address and/or Circumstances Image icon - Report it Report any change in your address and/or circumstances to us as soon as possible or you risk having to pay back any overpayment. Online Benefit Calculators Image icon - Calculator Three online calculators that can work out an estimate of your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support entitlement. Changes to Welfare Benefits Image icon - Information Forthcoming changes - Find out how the biggest changes to the welfare system for over 60 years could affect you. Local Housing Allowance (LHA) Image icon - Soc. Home If you are a private tenant on a low income who rents a room or a home from a private landlord, you may be entitled to Local Housing Allowance. Fraud Reporting and Investigation Image icon - Report it Help us beat fraud, report it online here. Benefit cheats cost us all millions in money that could be spent on better public services. How your benefit will be paid Image icon - Pound sign Council Tenants - Housing Benefit is credited weekly to your rent account. Private Tenants - Housing Benefit is paid directly to your bank account. Council Tax Benefit is paid as a credit into your Council Tax account. Information for Private Landlords Image icon - Landlord Information for existing or prospective private landlords who rent their property to tenants in receipt of Housing Benefit. Benefits Overpayments Image icon - Information Benefit overpayments normally have to be repaid. Overpayments most commonly occur if you have not told us about a change in circumstances. Extra help with housing costs Image icon - Apply If you need extra financial help with your housing costs you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) for help with rent and an Exceptional Hardship Payment (EHP) for help with Council Tax. Benefits Appeals Image icon - Information You can submit an appeal if you do not agree with a decision made about your claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.
Powered by GOSS iCM