Toggle menu

Service update: Monday 20th September 2021. All recycling collections, including pink sack and glass collections are back on this week starting with Wickford on Monday 20 September.

Thank you for your patience and understanding whilst services have been disrupted. Please remember to put out your sacks on your usual collection day and note that the Barleylands Recycling Centre has returned to its normal opening times.

Apply for Council Tax Discounts or Exemptions

Are you using e-Services yet? 

Join the thousands of residents who are using e-Services to manage their council tax and housing benefit accounts. Sign in with your phone or computer to apply for a council tax discount or exemption. You'll be able to upload evidence and save your details plus be told as your application progresses.  Sign in or Register for e-Services here

Council Tax - Care Leaver Discretionary Reduction

Basildon Council will award a discretionary reduction to the Council Tax account of a young person leaving care to live alone, or to the Council Tax account of the household a young person joins after leaving care.

Disability Reduction

Properties with facilities to help disabled person(s) living there may be entitled to a disability reduction.


When calculating council tax, some people are not counted. These are called 'Disregards,' and can be people in a number of circumstances.

Empty and Unfurnished Properties

Properties left empty for up to three months may receive a 50% council tax discount during that time. However, properties left empty for more than two years are charged additional premiums.

Exempt Properties

In specific circumstances, a property can become what is called an 'exempt property' and will pay no council tax at all for a varied amount of time.

Single Person Discount

Properties with only one adult (18+) may be entitled to a single person discount on council tax - this is 25% off your annual bill.

Uninhabitable Properties

Properties in need of major repairs to make them habitable, or undergoing structural alteration, may be entitled to a 50% council tax discount for up to one year.

Apprentice Disregard/Reduction

Where an apprentice is living in a property the Council Tax payer may be entitled to a 25% Council Tax Apprentice Disregard or Reduction.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email