Toggle menu

Licensing - Applications for a personal licence to sell alcohol

Any person employed as Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) in a licensed premises must hold a Personal Licence issued by their local Licensing Authority.

There can only be one DPS at a premises. The DPS does not need to be on the premises at all times however, the DPS will be held responsible for anything that happens at the premises.

New personal licence applications

Applicants for a Personal Licence must already have an accredited licensing qualification. For further information see: GOV.UK - Accredited qualification providers: personal licence to sell alcohol.

Applicants must apply for their Personal Licence from the licensing authority where they live.  If you live in the Basildon borough you should submit your application to Basildon Council, even if your place of work is outside Basildon borough.

Applicants must pay a Personal Licence application fee of £37. If your application is unsuccessful, we will not refund your fee.

Once issued, you will not need to renew this licence, it will remain valid until you surrender it or we revoke it.

For further information see: Icon for pdf Personal Licence Application Guidance Notes - July 2021 [85.75KB].

    Application forms

    Personal Licence application forms are only available from the GOV.UK website, see the following links to forms you will need to download and complete...

    Send your completed application form and your completed disclosure of convictions form, along with the additional information you must supply to:

    Licensing Authority
    Basildon Council
    The Basildon Centre
    St. Martin's Square
    Basildon, Essex
    SS14 1DL

    Once we receive your application we will acknowledge your application within three working days.

    Fees and Payment

    The Application fee of £37 is payable on submission of the application. Basildon Borough Council no longer accept cheques.

    Payment of the appropriate application fee can be made in the following ways:

    • Pay online for a Personal Licence Application ( IMPORTANT: when completing the online payment form,  In 1st dropdown box select 'Licensing-Liquor', then in 2nd dropdown box select 'Personal License (Liquor)' )
    • Pay by phone for a Personal Licence Application on 01268 206925

    Additional information you must supply with of your licence application

    When you submit your application, you also need to include:

    • Your original accredited licensing qualification certificate (this will be returned to you)
    • An original basic disclosure of convictions form dated within the last month, or a Police National Computer check. For further information see: GOV.UK - Request a basic DBS check
    • Two passport photographs, with one endorsed on the back to verify your likeness to photo
    • Proof that you have the right to live and work in the UK. For further information see: GOV.UK - Prove you have right of abode in the UK.

    To inform us of a change of name or address to an existing Personal Licence

    If you are a Personal Licence holder and you change your name or address you must let us know immediately.

    You can tell us about a change of name or address online, see...

    To complete the online form you will need:

    • Your name, address and contact details
    • The name of the business and its address
    • Details of the change
    • To sign a declaration
    • To pay the fee of £10.50

    Once we receive your notification, we will issue you with an updated personal licence.

    The Licensing Authority

    • Address
      • The Licensing Authority
      • Basildon Council
      • The Basildon Centre
      • St Martins Square
      • United Kingdom
      • SS14 1DL
      • Basildon, Essex
    • Telephone01268 206925

    Share this page

    Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email