Toggle menu

Road closure application for street parties or large public events

To simplify the application process, there is now a new single form which covers all parts of the application, including the application for road closures.

You must submit your application at-least 6 weeks before the intended event.

Please also remember that there will be a need to clean up after the event and this should be planned as part of the organisation.

The council will look at what you are proposing, will process your application for road closure and will let you know if there is anything else you need to consider.

Good luck with your event.

If the event is for the general public, an admission is being charged, there is a pay bar or the supply of alcoholic drinks and/or entertainment, a Temporary Event Notice will be required.

If there will be more than 500 people present at any time at the event, you may need to apply for a  Premises Licence.

If you need further advice on whether a premises license is required, please contact us.

The priority of any event must be human health and safety. Responsibility for health and safety rests with the organiser, but the Council and its partners have a duty to ensure all relevant health and safety guidance is followed. This is undertaken through the Events Safety Advisory Group (ESAG). ESAG is a multi-partner group including Police, Council, Fire and Highways.

Do we need insurance cover?

Most local authorities do not ask for public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party. But where you or your council think insurance would be a good idea you might find it helpful to go on Streets Alive ( and The Big Lunch website ( for further advice. Quotes for insurance start from as little as £50. The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

Do we need a 'special event' traffic regulation order?

Road closures for street parties are for your local authority to agree. Government has recently withdrawn central guidance on road closures - which had caused confusion on what could and could not be done locally - so it is now much easier for local authorities and local communities to work together to decide what works best for them.

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

Most local authorities do not ask for a risk plan for small street parties, but you may wish to think about how you can minimise things going wrong and have a back up plan, for example - what would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque etc.

We're serving alcoholic drinks - do we need an alcohol licence?

No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact your council for a Temporary Events Notice form. This form costs £21.

We're playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?

No - if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you're not making money then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it's live or recorded.

Do we need a permit to serve food?

No - as a private party, you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you wanted to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm). Remember you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share with one another. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.

We're having a tombola/raffle - do we need permission?

Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations (however, if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration but do speak to your council first). Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you did want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.

Do we need to clean up afterwards?

Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It's your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.