Toggle menu

I am experiencing problems paying my rent

If your rent is not paid the money owed is called 'rent arrears'. 

Rent arrears are a priority debt. Consequences of not dealing with them are serious and you could be at risk of eviction. Please contact us if you can't pay your rent or have missed rent payments as we can help support you.

You can contact us by email for help and advice:  Email the Housing Rents Team 

Please also contact us on this email address if you are having trouble making payments or experiencing financial difficulties due to the recent Covid-19 Pandemic.

Did you know that you can manage your rent account online?  Register or log in now: Housing rent e-services sign up and access

If you are experiencing financial difficulties which are affecting your rent payments, please speak to your rent officer as they will be able to help you with support and guidance if you are struggling to pay rent. If you are not able to clear your arrears in full, we may agree to a payment arrangement to clear your debt.

If you are not sure who your rent officer is, please Email the Housing Rents Team


If you are unemployed or have a low income you may be able to receive either Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

Housing Benefit

If you live in temporary accommodation or if you and your partner are receiving your state pension, you may be entitled. 

Universal Credit

If you are of working age and are not in temporary accommodation, you may be entitled. 

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you receive either of these qualifying benefits but have a rent shortfall, you may qualify for a short term payment. 

You may qualify if one of the following affects you;

  • under occupancy rules
  • a benefit cap
  • financial hardship

This is a discretionary payment and there is no guarantee that you will be awarded the short term payment.  

If you are having trouble making payments or experiencing financial difficulties Citizens Advice have produced a guide for support and advice.

External agencies that can also offer help and support:

Basildon Council's Housing Solutions Department

Peabody (Tenancy Support)

  • Tel: 0800 288 8883

StepChange Debt Charity (Formerly CCCS)

Credit Union

National Debt Line

Age UK Essex


The Money Advice Service

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email