Working Age Claimant - Council Tax Reduction
Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is a new discount scheme for persons of working age which came into effect from 1 April 2019. The discount is administered by Basildon Council in order to reduce the amount of Council tax charged for people who are on a low income or are unemployed.
What is Council Tax Reduction (CTR)?
CTR is a new discount scheme for persons of working age which came into effect from 1 April 2019. The discount is administered by Basildon Council in order to reduce the amount of Council tax charged for people who are on a low income or are unemployed. For full details of the scheme, download the document below.
Am I eligible?
To apply for CTR you must meet the requirements below.
- be of working age (below state pension age)
- be liable to pay Council Tax for your property
- be living in the property as your main home
- have less than £6000 in savings.
How is entitlement calculated?
CTR entitlement is calculated based on a comparison of household income and household size. The below table shows the percentage reduction that will be applied to your Council tax account based on your household and weekly income.
If you qualify for at least 25% reduction based on the above table and you, your partner, or anyone you get child benefit for is disabled, a 75% reduction will apply.
To be classed as disabled the resident must receive one of the following income types:
- Disability Living Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Personal Independence Payments
- Armed Forces Independence Payments
- Working Tax Credit with the disability element.
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Employment Support Allowance including the support component
- Universal Credit with the Limited Capability for Work
- Universal Credit with the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity
Apply for a Council Tax Reduction here
If you're confident you meet requirements for Council Tax Reduction, use the online application below. After making your application:
- You'll be required to provide supporting evidence within one month of submitting the application. The online form will inform you of which information you need to provide.
- You'll no longer be sent a notification letter detailing your entitlement.
You will be required to upload proof of your National Insurance (NI) number at the time of making an application. Please ensure you have this before proceeding.
- To apply for Council tax Reduction, please complete Council Tax Reduction (Working Age)
Change of Circumstances
If you are currently in receipt of Council Tax Reduction and are informing us of a change in your circumstances, please see the online form below.
Please note that a change in circumstances which increases your Council Tax Reduction award must be notified within 21 days of the change for this to take effect from the date of change. If the change is notified after more than 21 days the increased award will only be applied from the date of your online form.
You may be issued a penalty of up to £70 if you fail to report a change in your circumstances within one month of the change.