Pension Age Claimant - Local Council Tax Support (LCTS)
From April 1 2019, Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) has been replaced by the Council Tax Reduction scheme. This scheme aims to help people of pension age (on low income) pay Council Tax.
From 1st April 2019 the old Local Council Tax Support scheme will be replaced with the Council Tax Reduction Scheme. Every year each Local Authority must review its scheme. For full details of the scheme, download the document below.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the scheme, you must meet the requirements below.
- you and your partner, must be eligible to claim State Retirement Pension
- be liable to pay Council Tax for your property
- be living in the property as your main home
- have less than £16,000 in savings.
Non-dependants can affect how much Council Tax Reduction you're awarded
Non-dependant deduction means that your Council Tax Reduction is reduced if an adult who could contribute to your rent lives with you. This applies even if you don't receive rent from the non- dependant person. A non-dependant is anyone over the age of 18 living in your house - for example, a son/daughter, partner or parent.
Apply for Council Tax Reduction here
If you're confident you meet requirements for Council Tax Reduction, use the online application below. After making your application:
- You'll be required to provide supporting evidence within one month of submitting the application. The online form will inform you of which information you need to provide.
- If your claim is successful, discount will be applied and a new bill will be sent to you with the discount and a breakdown of what's been awarded