Toggle menu

If you need to log an emergency repair to a council property, please call 0800 011 3241.

All webpages and PDFs are produced in the United Kingdom and written in only English. The default human language is identified as en-GB. Further information can be found in the accessibility statement shown in the footer of each page:

Planning Applications - Advice articles

Development is defined as the 'carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land'.

The governmental statutory instrument, Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 as amended, grants planning permission for certain types of development of a minor character.

The Planning Portal provides a general guide in respect of 'permitted development' i.e. that development in relation to which an application for planning permission is not required.

If planning permission is required, Submit a Planning Application Online  sets out a step-by-step guide to making a planning application. This links to the home page of the Planning Portal and provides guidance for members of the public or professionals of most planning organisations.

A general guide to the processes undergone by planning applications can be viewed at The Planning Portal - Planning Applications. From the guide it will be seen that certain applications are determined by the Planning Committee (or Basildon's case, the View details plus minutes & agendas) and some by the Planning Officer (Manager of Planning Services). The basis for deciding whether a particular application is decided at Committee or by the Manager of Planning Services, is set out in the   Our Constitution and the way we work