Assets of Community Value - Nomination Procedure
The Community Right to Bid, also known as Assets of Community Value, gives people the chance to bid to buy and take over the running of assets that are of value to the local community.
Voluntary and community organisations can nominate both privately and publicly owned assets to be included on a list of Assets of Community Value. This list is managed by Basildon Borough Council.
If a landowner wants to sell a registered property, they must tell the Council. If a community group wants to buy the asset, they can trigger a 6 month moratorium to give them a chance to prepare a bid for it. During this period, the owner cannot sell their property on the open market. This gives community groups an increased chance to save much loved shops, pubs or other local facilities by developing a proposal and raising the required capital.
At the end of the 6-month period, the owner is free to sell the asset to whoever they wish and at any price.
Both lists will be published on this web page and will be available for public inspection at The Basildon Centre. Click Contact Customer Services for more information.
Who can nominate an Asset of Community Value?
Only eligible voluntary and community organisations can make nominations, not individuals, nor the council.
The organisations must:
- have a local connection to the property they wish to nominate; this means that its activities are wholly or partly concerned with the administrative area of Basildon Borough Council or a neighbouring local authority.
- be one or more of the following:
- an unincorporated community group with at least 21 members who are registered to vote in the Basildon Borough Council area
- a parish council
- a charity
- an industrial and provident society
- a local neighbourhood forum
- a company limited by guarantee or a community interest company.
See the Guidance below for a full list of criteria.
How to nominate an Asset of Community Value?
Basildon Borough Register of Assets of Community Value
Last Updated 26 October 2021