To avoid the uninsured loss of your household goods and contents council tenants must have an up to date Home Contents Insurance Policy

Image promoting Basildon Council tenants home contents insurance Basildon Council do not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It's a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there's always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance

Basildon Council has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies underwritten by Allianz Insurance plc.

Thistle Tenant Risks is a specialist contents insurance scheme provided by Thistle Insurance Services Limited. All tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply to join the scheme.

Thistle Tenant Risks can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Reasons to choose Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance:

  • A low excess of £50 per claim (you pay the first £50 of the claim)
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000)
  • Covers contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £2000)
  • Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen
  • You don't need to have special door or window locks
  • All postcodes are included.

See leaflet: Icon for pdf Have you thought about home contents insurance - A4 Leaflet [198.19KB]

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd's Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington's Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Who this policy is for

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Allianz Insurance plc.

The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Allianz Insurance Policy Booklet which you should read carefully.

Based on the information which has been provided to you if you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact Basildon Council.

** IMPORTANT - Information on keeping up with insurance  payments and for those receiving Housing Benefit

You must keep up to date with your payments. Failure to keep up with insurance premium payments will result in your policy being cancelled.

Tenants receiving Housing Benefit must be aware that insurance premium payments will not be included as part of their Housing Benefit entitlement. Tenants receiving Housing Benefit will have to either cancel their policy or make payments from their own finances or other benefit entitlement.

Apply to join the Home Contents Insurance Scheme

To join the Home Contents Insurance Scheme you will need to complete an application form:

The Insurance Team will contact you directly within 10 working days of receiving your application.

Please note that the insurance policy we provide is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that we must provide applicants with a copy of our Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) and a copy of the With Rent Important Customer Information Document (TSIL), both of which contain the key information needed to enable you to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

The Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) and The Important Customer Information Document (TSIL)

Before completing an application form, we strongly advise applicants to read the Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) and the With Rent Important Customer Information Document (TSIL), both of which contain important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover. 

To make a claim on your Home Contents Insurance Policy

To make a claim on your Home Contents Insurance Policy please contact Allianz Insurance's claims division directly:

  • Phone: 0344 871 2230

To change or cancel a Home Contents Insurance Policy or inform us of a change in your circumstances

To cancel or change your Home Contents Insurance Policy please contact the Council's Insurance Team.

You will be asked to supply the following information:

  • Your Full Name
  • Your Full Address
  • Details of the amendments you want to make

IMPORTANT: The basis of your Home Contents Insurance contract is the information you have supplied, including the declaration which you will have checked and signed to confirm the information you have provided on your application is correct.

Should any of the information you have provided on your application change you must inform us of these changes in circumstances, as they could affect the validity of your insurance cover. For example you should inform us of the following:

  • You change your address
  • You leave your home unoccupied for more than 60 days
  • Add significantly to the value of your belongings
  • Criminal record

Replacement policy documents

Tenants who have joined the Home Contents Insurance Scheme receive a letter containing details of their insurance cover. If this letter has been lost a new copy can be requested by contacting the Council's Insurance Team.

Complaints Procedure

Basildon Council always aim to get things right first time and we are committed to ensuring that we achieve the highest level of service for our customers. If you feel this hasn't happened, we would like to hear about it so that we have an opportunity to put things right for you and to improve our service in the future.

If you have a complaint about the sale or service of your insurance policy, please contact the Council's Insurance Team, see contact details bottom of page.

Alternatively please refer to Thistle's Complaints Procedure available here:

If you have a complaint relating to your policy please contact the Allianz Customer Satisfaction Manager at:


Allianz Insurance plc
PO Box 10623
LE18 9HJ

Phone: 0330 102 1781


Fax: 01483 529 717

Further information and enquiries

The Insurance Team - Tenants' Contents Insurance
01268 207940