Privacy Notice - Resident Involvement
The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to explain how and for what purposes we process your personal data. It applies to personal data that is processed electronically and on paper.
Please read the following Privacy Notice carefully.
Last revision date: 30.06.2023
Why are we collecting your data?
As a social landlord the Council has a statutory duty under the Housing Act 1985 to consult and engage with its tenants & leaseholders, we are committed to listening and working with all residents giving them a voice to help us improve our services.
The list below is not exhaustive but is intended to cover some of the ways we engage with residents:
- Pop-up events, surveys, consultations in the borough to gain residents feedback on new policies, strategies, Residents Groups to improve the areas they live, e.g., estate improvements.
- Various Groups & Panels covering topics e.g., re: council services.
- Gardens in Bloom sheltered housing gardening competition.
- Name and Contact Details (address, telephone number, email address)
- Age bracket
- Family Details - emergency contact
- Bank details
We need your name and contact details for the following:
- To inform or invite you to meetings, training, events.
- Supply you with an answer to your enquiries.
- Representatives' names will be present on a volunteer's ID badge.
- We collect your tenure, to assist you in matters that are specific to your tenure
- We collect your age range in the form of an age bracket to understand the representation and feedback we receive from various age groups who reside in our borough.
- We collect your preferred persons contact details to be contacted in an emergency only.
Signature: You will be required to sign various documents:
- Code of conduct for Representatives or Declaration form for involved Resident Voice members.
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) consent form -- Written consent giving Resident Involvement permission to store your details & contact you.
- To confirm your emergency contact from
- Acceptance and attendance for meetings, training, events, and final copy of minutes
- Consent to use your image for various marketing purposes.
- To confirm you accept requested conditions if you borrow any digital devices.
- Expense claim forms
- Annual one to one meeting form
- As a representative for Basildon Borough Council your image will be taken to produce and issue you with a volunteer ID Badge to identify you as a Representative whilst at meetings and events, and to authorise your access into meeting rooms.
- Images may also be taken of Representatives, members of the Residents Voice and Residents whilst attending events such as, e.g., Garden in Bloom competition, council meetings, external estate inspections, council presentations.
If you do not want your image taken as advised in section 2, please inform a member of the Resident Involvement team.
- Residents who express an interest in volunteering to be a Representative, will be asked to confirm they and any member of their household have not been subject to any formal or legal action by Basildon Council or be taking legal or ombudsman action against Basildon Council. The Resident Involvement team will conduct checks with the relevant departments before inducting the resident as a Representative.
We require the name of your bank / building society, account number and sort code to enable us to pay expense claims directly into your account.
The data is collected through:
- External events
- Third Parties
- Consultations & Surveys
The basis for the processing
Consent: the individual has given clear consent for the council to process their personal data for a specific purpose.
Who your information will be shared with:
Tenant / Leasehold Representatives for Basildon Borough Council:
- Other Representatives, to keep in touch and discuss council meetings etc.
- Council officers & contractors in relation to any queries or concerns
- If we book you a taxi on the Councils account, we will share your name, and contact details with the Taxi firm to enable them to collect you and contact you if there is a problem with the booking.
Members of the Residents Voice for Basildon Borough Council & residents in the borough:
- Council officers & Council contractors to gain an answer to your enquiry
We will never sell your data, however it will be shared with third parties to:
- Comply with legal obligations and legislative requirements
- Help business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to deliver any contract we enter with them or you
- To help if there is need of any professional or legal advice on a matter relating to you
- To help prevent fraud and/or tackle crime
- To improve and optimise the performance of our services
Provide accurate information
We need to hold accurate and up to date information about you so that we can deliver appropriate services. If any of your details change, you need to tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.
We will not:
- Use your information for marketing or sales purposes without your prior explicit consent.
- Send or store your data abroad unless it meets the requirements of the Data Protection regulations
How long will we hold your data for?
We will keep all records relating to, surveys, consultations, and Resident Involvement Tenant / Leaseholder Representatives for 2 years after they have left their position as a Representative for Basildon Borough Council.
General Public - All Residents in the borough:
When recruiting Tenant / Leasehold Representatives they are required to provide emergency contact details, it is the responsibility of the Representative to ask their nominated contact for their permission to share their details with the council to store.
For a Tenant/Leasehold Representative to act on the behalf of a resident concerning queries about their home or area, the Resident must complete the Resident Consent form stating their contact details and consent for the Representative to share their details with the Council, and to act on their behalf. The information will only be shared with Council officers, and contractors to assist in resolving queries.
You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. Any access requests are free of charge. If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you have a right to have this corrected and you have the right to request completion of incomplete data. You have the right to ask us to erase your personal data in certain circumstances ('right to be forgotten').
You have the right to ask us to stop or restrict the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. Where possible, we will seek to comply with your request, but we may need to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.
You can make any of these requests by:
Phone: 01268 533333
The Data Protection Officer
Basildon Borough Council
St. Martin's Square,
If you are dissatisfied with how we have used your personal information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office, by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
- Letter to:
Information Commissioner's Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF