Toggle menu

Privacy Notice - Community Safety Consultation

Please read the following Privacy Notice carefully.

Why we are collecting your data?

Basildon Borough Council needs to collect your personal data so that the Council can obtain residents views and experiences of crime, disorder, anti-social behaviour, and other community safety issues in the Borough.

The data is compiled and analysed to help inform the Strategic Priorities for Safer Basildon as part of the legal requirement under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 to undertake an annual Strategic Assessment.

Information collected

  • Postcode
  • Racial and ethical data

Postcode data is collected to help provide further understanding of community safety issues at street level based on the responses collected, which provides additional intelligence to identify need and allocate recourses more effectively.

Racial and ethical data is collected to help Basildon Council to meet the aims and commitments set out in its Inclusion and Diversity Policy. This includes not discriminating under the Equality Act 2010, and building an accurate picture of our community by protected groups.

The data is collected through

  • Surveys
  • Phone

The basis for the processing

  • Public task: the processing is necessary for you to perform a task in the public interest or for your official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law.
  • Explicit consent: the individual has given explicit consent for the Council to process their personal data for a specific purpose

Who your information will be shared with

  • Postcode data will be shared with Safer Basildon partners including Essex Police, The Probation Service, Essex County Council, Essex Fire and Rescue Service, NHS, Basildon and Brentwood and Clinical Commissioning Group as part of a report outlining and analysing the responses.

We have arrangements with a range of IT providers who support the Council's IT systems and services, therefore your data may be accessed by these suppliers. Where we have these arrangements there is always a contractual agreement with them to ensure they comply with the Data Protection Law.

We will never sell your data, however it will be shared with third parties to:

  • Comply with legal obligations and legislative requirements
  • Help business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to deliver any contract we enter with them or you
  • To help if there is need of any professional or legal advice on a matter relating to you
  • To help prevent fraud and/or tackle crime
  • To improve and optimise the performance of our services

Providing accurate information

We need to hold accurate and up to date information about you so that we can deliver appropriate services. If any of your details change, you need to tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.

We will not:

  • use your information for marketing or sales purposes without your prior explicit consent.
  • send or store your data abroad unless it meets the requirements of the Data Protection regulations.
  • make decisions about you based on automated processing.

How long will we hold your data for?

We will keep all records relating to Community Safety for 3 years.

Your rights

You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. Any access requests are free of charge. If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you have a right to have this corrected and you have the right to request completion of incomplete data. You have the right to ask us to erase your personal data in certain circumstances ('right to be forgotten').

You have the right to ask us to stop or restrict the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. Where possible, we will seek to comply with your request, but we may need to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.

You can make any of these requests by:

The Data Protection Officer
Basildon Borough Council
Basildon Centre,
St. Martin's Square,
SS14 1DL.

If you are dissatisfied with how we have used your personal information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office, by:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF

Further independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues is available from the Information Commissioner's Office, see: