Toggle menu

Privacy Notice - Community Safety; Young People

Please read the following Privacy Notice carefully.

The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to explain how and for what purposes we process your personal data. It applies to personal data that is processed electronically and on paper. 

Why we are collecting your data

Basildon Borough Council needs to collect your personal data so that the Council can deliver:

  • One to one meetings with young people who are deemed to be at risk with regards to supporting and advising them.

The information is collated to enable us to contact a young person and to refer any related safe-guarding issues to either Social Care services or the Police in regard to the young person in question.

Information collected

  • Name and contact details (address and telephone number) - This is required so that they can be contacted either by phone or post.
  • Family details - this is required as consent may have to be gained from a parent if the young person is under the age of 16
  • Date of birth

This information is needed in order to make contact with young people and, if found necessary, to share with partner agencies if any safe-guarding issues should arise.

The data is collected through:

  • Referral forms
  • Phone
  • Third Parties who refer a young person to the council's Community Safety service

The basis for the processing

For Personal Data (any information related to a natural person or 'Data Subject' that can be used to directly or indirectly identify the person. For example an email address, telephone number or IP address (when linked with an identifier):

  • Contract:  We are relying on this basis to provide a contractual service.

Who your information will be shared with

  • Social Services, police, partner agencies who are also supporting the young person such as the following:
  • Lifeskills
  • South Essex College
  • Pupil Referral Unit
  • Children's Society
  • Swan Foyer
  • Dovecott House
  • Secondary school that young person may attend
  • Health

The above are all examples of who information may be shared these are normally all supported by Social Care who are generally involved if a safe guarding issue has arisen.

We have arrangements with a range of IT providers who support the Council's IT systems and services, therefore your data may be accessed by these suppliers. Where we have these arrangements there is always a contractual agreement with them to ensure they comply with the Data Protection Law.

We will never sell your data, however it will be shared with third parties to:

  • Comply with legal obligations and legislative requirements
  • Help business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to deliver any contract we enter with them or you
  • To help if there is need of any professional or legal advice on a matter relating to you
  • To help prevent fraud and/or tackle crime
  • To improve and optimise the performance of our services.

Provide accurate information

We need to hold accurate and up to date information about you so that we can deliver appropriate services. If any of your details change, you need to tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.

We will not:

  • Use your information for marketing or sales purposes without your prior explicit consent.
  • Send or store your data abroad unless it meets the requirements of the Data Protection regulations
  • Make decisions about you based on automated processing

How long will we hold your data for?

We will keep all records relating to Community Safety for 1 year after the work has ceased.

Your rights

You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you.  Any access requests are free of charge.

If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you have a right to have this corrected and you have the right to request completion of incomplete data.

You have the right to ask us to erase your personal data in certain circumstances ('right to be forgotten').

You have the right to ask us to stop or restrict the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances.  Where possible, we will seek to comply with your request, but we may need to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.

You can make any of these requests by:

The Data Protection Officer
Basildon Borough Council
Basildon Centre,
St. Martin's Square,
SS14 1DL.

If you are dissatisfied with how we have used your personal information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office, by:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF

Further independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues is available from the Information Commissioner's Office, see: