Toggle menu

Privacy Notice - Committee and Member Services

Please read the following Privacy Notice carefully.

The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to explain how and for what purposes we process your personal data. It applies to personal data that is processed electronically and on paper. 

Why we are collecting your data

For the majority of our functions we would require contact details only - name and address, phone number and email address, in order to deliver a range of democratic and civic processes.  
Basildon Borough Council needs to collect your personal data so that the Council can manage the appointment of independent persons to Committees, panels and informal groups; the arrangement of civic events; coordination of the Council's e-petition scheme, and other activities from time to time in support of the Council's democratic and civic processes.

Information collected

  • Name and Contact Details

  • Signature

  • Bank Details

This information is required to post and email papers relating to the meetings of Committees and informal groups, to provide information to the attendees of civic events relating to the arrangements of these events, and to make payments where appropriate to appointees of independent panels. In the case of e-petitions, we need to make sure that submissions adhere to the criteria set out in the Council's Petitions Scheme in order for them to be validated.

The data is collected through:

  • Emails

  • Post

  • Application forms

  • Website

  • Phone.

The basis for the processing

This task is carried out because of:

  • Legal obligations and/or public task  - The requirement to appoint independent persons to a Joint Standards Committee and Independent Remuneration Panels are specified in the Local Government Act 2000 and The Local Authorities (Members' Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003

Who your information will be shared with

Internal services: Colleagues in Customer Services who maintain mailing lists for the receipt of Agendas etc. Colleagues in the service relevant to the subject matter of submitted petitions.
We have arrangements with a range of IT providers who support the Council's IT systems and services, therefore your data may be accessed by these suppliers. Where we have these arrangements there is always a contractual agreement with them to ensure they comply with the Data Protection Law.

We will never sell your data, however it will be shared with third parties to:

  • Help business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to deliver any contract we enter with them or you
  • To improve and optimise the performance of our services
  • Help prevent fraud, or criminal activity.

Provide accurate information

We need to hold accurate and up to date information about you so that we can deliver appropriate services. If any of your details change, you need to tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.

We will not:

  • Use your information for marketing or sales purposes without your prior explicit consent.

  • Send or store your data abroad unless it meets the requirements of the Data Protection regulations

  • Make decisions about you based on automated processing.

How long will we hold your data for?

We will keep all records relating to Committee and Member Services for 8 years.

Your rights

You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you.  Any access requests are free of charge.
If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you have a right to have this corrected and you have the right to request completion of incomplete data.
You have the right to ask us to erase your personal data in certain circumstances ('right to be forgotten').

You have the right to ask us to stop or restrict the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances.  Where possible, we will seek to comply with your request, but we may need to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.

You can make any of these requests by:

The Data Protection Officer
Basildon Borough Council
Basildon Centre,
St. Martin's Square,
SS14 1DL.

If you are dissatisfied with how we have used your personal information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office, by:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF

Further independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues is available from the Information Commissioner's Office, see: