Toggle menu

If you need to log an emergency repair to a council property, please call 0800 011 3241.

All webpages and PDFs are produced in the United Kingdom and written in only English. The default human language is identified as en-GB. Further information can be found in the accessibility statement shown in the footer of each page:

Licences - Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle

Basildon Council must ensure all hackney carriage and private hire licence holders are 'fit and proper' persons and vehicles are accessible and safe.

Taxis and private hire lost property reporting by drivers
If you are a licensed driver who wants to report property lost or found in a taxi, please send us full details of the item, including contact information and details of where it was lost or found by email to:

Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence

Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licences are issued by Basildon Council. Applications must be made in writing.

Private Hire Vehicle Licences

Private Hire Vehicle Licences are issued by Basildon Council. Applications must be made in writing.

Private Hire Operator Licences

Basildon Council issues Private Hire Operator's Licences. A Private Hire Operator's Licence permits you to advertise and accept bookings for private hire work.

Driver Knowledge Test

Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers are required to pass a special test, generally referred to as 'The Knowledge', before they can be licensed.

Vehicle Transfer of Interest

If you wish to sell your licensed Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle to another proprietor you will need to complete a transfer of interest form.

Download Forms and Publications

Downloadable Hackney Carriage and Private Hire licence application forms and other publications.

Stretch Limos, Wedding/Funeral Cars, Minibuses

Stretch limousines must be licensed, minibuses for more than 8 must be licensed, wedding/funeral cars are exempt.

Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults - Guide for Licensed Drivers

A guide for licensed drivers to recognise and understand signs of abuse in children, young people and vulnerable adults you come into contact with and how to report your suspicions.