Toggle menu

Our Wat Tyler Education site is currently under construction

If you were trying to access , this site is currently under construction. It will be re-launched in the coming weeks.

Licence - Gambling Premises

The Gambling Act 2005 changed the way in which gambling activity is licensed in our borough.

In 2007 Basildon Borough Council became the Premises Licensing Authority for gambling activity throughout the Basildon Borough, working in partnership with the National Gambling Regulator, The Gambling Commission (opens new window).

The Gambling Licensing Policy is a statement of the principles Basildon Council applies when deciding to approve or reject licence applications for casinos and other gambling outlets.

A copy of the policy can be downloaded from the related downloads section of this page. A hard copy of the policy document  can be obtained on request.

Gambling Premises Fees

Downloadable:  Basildon Council - Schedule of Fees and Charges 2024-2025 (PDF) [510KB]  (see page 71)

Gambling Legislation websites 

The Gambling Commission (opens new window)

GOV.UK - Regulating gambling in Great Britain to make sure it is run responsibly and contributes to economic growth (opens new window)

Gambling Addiction websites

Gamblers Anonymous UK (opens new window)

GamCare - National Association for Gambling Care (opens new window) 

Local Gambling Licence Authorities .

In order for gambling activity to take place in any public premises within the Basildon Borough, the following licences are required:

  • A Personal Licence
  • An Operating Licence
  • A Premises Licence

From the following licensing authorities: 

The Gambling Commission are the authority responsible for the issue of:

  • Personal Licences
  • Operating Licences
  • Codes of Practice

The Gambling Commission (opens new window)  also investigate illegal gambling.  

Basildon Council are the authority responsible for approving or rejecting applications for Premises Licences in respect of:

  • Betting Offices
  • Race Tracks
  • Casinos
  • Bingo Halls
  • Adult Gaming Centres
  • Family Entertainment Centres.

Basildon Council are also responsible for the issue of permits for gaming machines in Members' Clubs and Licensed Premises.