Appeals against a Council Tax property band

If you believe that your Council Tax property band is wrong please consult the Valuation Office Agency for details of when and how you can appeal, see GOV.UK - Valuation Office Agency.

Appeals against a Council Tax liability

If you feel you are not liable to pay Council Tax then you can appeal.

You may appeal against a Council Tax liability on the following grounds:

  • You are not the resident or owner
  • Your property should be exempt
  • We have made a mistake in calculating your bill
  • You should be entitled to a discount or relief.

Please submit your appeal in writing to the Council Tax Billing Office detailing the reasons for your appeal, see contact details at bottom of page.

Basildon Council will consider your written appeal and make its decision. If that decision is not in your favour you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. For further information see The Valuation Tribunal.