Privacy Notice - Online Homelessness Referral Form
The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to explain how and for what purposes we process your personal information. **When we say 'data' we mean information.
Please read the following Privacy Notice carefully.
Why we are collecting your information
Basildon Borough Council needs to collect your personal information for the purpose of supporting the referral process and progressing online applications for Homelessness assistance in line with the Council's legal obligations under the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017.
- Name, Address, Contact Telephone, Contact Email, National Insurance Number, Medical Information (including any other people you may need accommodation with), Household Members and their related address and National Insurance Number(s)
The purpose of collecting these details is for Basildon Borough Council:
a) To identify and establish your housing needs
b) To allow officers to make recommendations in relation to the provision of housing.
c) Medical information to ensure we provide you with suitable accommodation.
d) To be able to contact you.
The information is collected through:
- An online application form
The basis for the processing
- Legal Obligation - Homelessness Reduction Act 2017. So that the council can reduce the number of people living on the street.
- Vital interests - the processing is necessary to protect someone's life.
Who your information will be shared with
- We have arrangements with different Information Technology (IT) (Internet) providers who support the Council's IT systems and services, therefore these suppliers may see your information. Where we have these arrangements there is always a contract with them to ensure they protect your information.
- Basildon Council Customer Resolution Centre (Basildon Council department that helps you with your queries)
- Basildon Council Housing Solutions Team
- Other agencies listed within the Application form that you have selected that we can share your information with, for example, GPs, Social Services, Police, Landlords, Revenues and Benefits. (This will depend on how many organisations you selected)
We share your information with relevant organisations to:
- Comply with the law (legal obligations) and legislative requirements
- Help business partners, suppliers, and sub-contractors to deliver any contract we enter with them or you
- To help if there is need of any professional or legal advice on a matter relating to you
- To help prevent fraud and/or tackle crime
- To improve the service that we offer you
*We will never sell your information
Provide correct information
We need to have the correct information about you so that we can deliver proper services. If any of your details change, you need to tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.
We will not:
- Use your information for marketing or sales purposes without seeking your permission (explicit consent).
- Send or store your information in another country (abroad) unless it meets the requirements of the Data Protection regulations
- Make decisions about your application using machine (automated processing).
How long will we hold your information for?
- We will keep all records relating to the Homelessness Application for 1 year from the date you submit your application form online.
The law says that you have rights:
You have the right to see your personal information we hold about you. This is called Subject Access Request. Any access requests are free of charge.
If the information we hold about you is not correct (inaccurate), you have a right to have this corrected and you have the right to request completion of incomplete information.
You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances ('right to be forgotten'). This may not be possible if you are still receiving the service.
You have the right to ask us to limit the amount of information we are processing about you (restrict processing), in certain circumstances. Where possible, we will seek to comply with your request, but we may need to hold or process information to comply with the law (legal requirement).
You can make any of these requests by:
- Email: Data Protection Officer
- Phone: 01268 533333
- Letter to:
The Data Protection Officer
Basildon Borough Council
St. Martin's Square,
If you are dissatisfied with how we have used your personal information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office, by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
- Letter to:
Information Commissioner's Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Further independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues is available from the Information Commissioner's Office, see: For the public | ICO