Toggle menu

Register As An Overseas Voter (UK citizen living abroad)

If you are a British citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter.

If you are a UK citizen living abroad you can apply to be an overseas voter if you have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years.

If you are a UK citizen and were too young to register when you left the UK you can still register as an overseas voter. You can do this if your parent or guardian was registered to vote in the UK, as long as you left the UK no more than 15 years ago.

Elections in which overseas voters can vote

As an overseas voter you are only eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary Elections, Referendums and European Parliamentary Elections.

To find out more about overseas voter registration visit: Electoral Commission - Register as an Overseas voters

Register to vote online

Additional important information for overseas voters

Overseas voters must remember to apply separately to vote by post (Postal Vote) or to apply for someone to vote on their behalf (Proxy Vote), unless they intend to return home to vote in person.

Postal ballot papers are usually sent to overseas voters two to three weeks before polling day. Overseas voters MUST be sure their marked postal ballot paper (voting slip) will reach us before 10pm on polling day, or it will not be counted.

If there is any doubt that your Postal Ballot Paper can be returned to us by polling day, then you should consider applying for someone to vote on your behalf (Proxy Vote).

Further information and enquiries

  • For further information and enquiries please contact the Electoral Services Team, see contact details below...