The Register Of Electors
The Register Of Electors is the list of all the people in Basildon Borough who have registered to vote in elections.
Using information received from the public, electoral registration officers are required to keep two registers:
- The 'Full' Register Of Electors
- The 'Open' Register Of Electors (also known as the edited register).
The register of electors is published on 1 December each year.
Notice of Publication of Revised Register
- Basildon Borough Council - Notice of Publication of Revised Register - Jan 2020 (PDF) [141KB] (opens new window)
The 'Full' Register Of Electors
The 'Full' Register Of Electors lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. It is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.
The 'Open' Register Of Electors (also known as the edited register)
The 'Open' Register Of Electors is an extract of the electoral register, but it is not used for elections. A copy of the 'Open' Register can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.
The 'Open' Electoral Register lists name and address of each voter, unless the voter has made a request to have their personal details removed from the 'Open' Register.
Removing your details from the 'Open' Register does not affect your right to vote.
Requests to have your details removed from the 'Open' Register
To have your personal details removed from the 'Open' Register you must contact us in person or by phone. See contact details bottom of page.
Alternatively, when you complete your Annual Election Canvass (updating your details), you will be given the option to ask for a form to apply to have your personal details removed from the 'Open' Register.
View the Register Of Electors
The register is updated periodically throughout the year and you can view the both versions of the Register of Electors in person at our Basildon town centre offices.
- The 'Open' Register Of Electors can be viewed anytime, without appointment, during opening hours at our Basildon town centre offices.
- To view the 'Full' Register Of Electors an appointment must be made with a member of the Electoral Registration team. Appointments can be arranged by phone or email, see contact details.
Find out if you are registered to vote
To find out if you are registered to vote, see Check If You're Registered To Vote.
Further information and enquiries
- For further information and enquiries please contact the Electoral Services Team.