Toggle menu

Our Wat Tyler Education site is currently under construction

If you were trying to access , this site is currently under construction. It will be re-launched in the coming weeks.

Buildings Insurance For Commercial Leaseholders

Commercial property owners who have a leasehold agreement with Basildon Council must have buildings insurance in place, to cover the cost of rebuild or repairs if their commercial property is damaged or destroyed by an insured peril such as fire or flood etc.

Basildon Council leases commercial properties to a variety of organisations, this includes commercial properties such as shops, offices, community halls and centres and leisure facilities.

All commercial properties leased from Basildon Council must have valid buildings insurance cover to ensure that repairs to, or rebuild of  the property is guaranteed if an insured peril such as flood or fire occurs.

The majority of Basildon Council's commercial leasehold agreements state that buildings insurance cover must be provided by Basildon Council and paid for by the leaseholder. There are a very few leases that state otherwise and leases can be checked by contacting the Insurance Team.

Leaseholder payments for commercial buildings insurance

Leaseholders will be sent an annual invoice between September and December, which can either be paid in whole or by instalment if agreed with the Council.

The  policy is renewed annually on the 1st August and lessees do not have to do anything. The premium charged is provided by the insurers and includes Insurance Premium Tax.

The amount that a commercial property is insured for is based on rebuild costs rather than market value and can be reviewed if a leaseholder feels it does not currently reflect a realistic figure.

Perils that Basildon Council owned commercial properties are insured against

Policy documents - See the following downloadable document for a  summary of cover for commercial properties leased by Basildon Council. 

If you require any other specific documentation please contact the Insurance Team.

The commercial buildings insurance policy provides cover for damage to your building (including fixtures and fittings such as kitchens and bathrooms) when damaged by an insured peril, which is the cause of loss such as fire, flood or escape of water.  

The policy covers the usual standard insured perils of:

  • Fire, Lightning, Explosion or Earthquake
  • Aircraft
  • Riot and Malicious Damage
  • Storm or Flood
  • Escape of Water
  • Impact damage by any road vehicle or animal
  • Sprinkler Leakage
  • Theft or attempted Theft
  • Breakage of fixed glass
  • Escape of Oil
  • Aerial breakage
  • Accidental damage

In addition, the policy provides cover for the following; Professional fees, Removal of debris, drains and gutters, trace and access and loss of rent in the event of a claim being made as a result of an insured peril.

The building insurance policy does NOT cover the loss of, or damage to, the contents of a commercial property.

The commercial building insurance policy only provides cover for the building and its fixtures and fittings. It is the responsibility of leaseholders to arrange their own contents insurance cover.

Making a claim on a commercial buildings insurance policy

You can make a claim on your buildings insurance policy by contacting the insurers, Zurich Municipal direct on the following number:

Phone:  0800 0280 336

Policy holder: Basildon Borough Council

Policy Number: F-19H061-0291

Policy excess to be paid in the event of a claim being made

A £250 policy excess will be payable on claims for the following insured perils:

  • malicious damage
  • storm
  • flood
  • escape of water
  • impact own vehicle
  • theft
  • accidental damage.

A £1000 policy excess will be payable on claims for:

  • subsidence
  • ground heave
  • landslip

All other insured perils carry a nil excess.

Corporate Property Team