Leaving your council home
You may end your tenancy at any time by giving us at least four weeks' notice in writing. The four weeks' notice must start on a Monday.
Your written notice can be posted, or delivered in person, toThe Empty Homes and Garages TeamBasildon Borough CouncilThe Basildon CentreSt Martin's SquareBasildonEssexSS14 1DL.
Moving Out Checklist
Here are a few reminders for you before you leave your property,
- All repairs that are our responsibility are to be reported before leaving your property
- The property must be left in a clean and clear condition, this includes:
- All carpets and laminate flooring to be removed
- All lofts to be emptied
- The garden and any external bin sheds to be left clear
- Any sheds that you have not had permission for must be removed.
- All keys to the property are to be returned, this includes communal keys, shed keys and any garage keys if applicable. If keys are missing you will be recharged for their replacement
- Please ensure you secure the property before returning the keys, making sure all the windows are closed securely
- Please ensure you contact your gas, electric and water supplier to advise them of your new address. You are responsible for taking your own meter readings
- You need to redirect your post as soon as possible. We will be unable to collect post from the property for you once you have given your keys back
- All keys are to be returned to the Basildon Centre by noon on the Monday that your tenancy is due to end. Failure to return your keys on time will result in a further week's rent being charged.
If Basildon Council have to carry out a lock change, because you have left the property but forgotten to return the keys then the cost of this will also be charged to you.