Toggle menu

The Housing Solutions Service

The Housing Solutions Service

The Housing Solutions Service aims to prevent people from becoming homeless providing advice and assistance to help people find solutions to their housing problem. We can:

  • Help you keep your existing home
  • Help you explore your housing options
  • Give advice on the Councils statutory duties
  • Provide advice at an early stage
  • Refer to tenancy support services
  • Help to find accommodation in the private sector
  • provide information about other specialist agencies

We also process applications and allocate all properties within the borough

Here is a selection of available housing solutions:

Apply for Social Housing - Providing choice for Council housing applicants, wherever possible, while continuing to meet housing need.

Private Sales and Lettings Agents in Basildon Borough (opens new window) - Private landlords offer a wide range of accommodation. If you are on a low income you may be entitled to help with Benefits and/or Affordable Housing - Homebuy is a government-led initiative offering a range of schemes to help people onto the home ownership ladder when they would otherwise not be able to afford to purchase a home.

Basildon Choice - Mutual Exchange - Tenants can now access the Homeswapper Mutual Exchange Register online at anytime to search for a suitable property within the Basildon Borough.

Living in Sheltered Accommodation - Sheltered Housing offers older people the freedom of living independently with help close by should they require it.

The Sanctuary Project - This scheme adapts the homes of victims of domestic abuse to accommodate physical security measures that help the family to feel safe.

Right to Buy - Depending on how long you have lived in council accommodation you may be eligible to purchase your council home through the Right to Buy scheme

Homefinder UK (opens new window) - Basildon's residents can also access Homefinder UK, a vehicle for residents to apply for social housing across the country. You don't need to be an existing social tenant and your landlord does not need to be a partner of the scheme.