Toggle menu

Taxi Standards and Complaints

As the licensing authority, Basildon Council wants everyone travelling by taxi or private hire vehicle to have the best possible journey experience.

If you are unhappy with your Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Car journey you may feel you have reason to submit a complaint to Basildon Council as the licensing authority.

Unfortunately, we may not be able to help in all circumstances because not all matters for complaint are breaches of licence conditions. Many licensed vehicles work through operating companies and some complaints like poor punctuality should be made directly to the Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Car operating company.

If the bad behaviour amounts to a criminal act then you should report it to the police immediately. Similarly the police should be informed about poor driving or traffic offences that may occur during your taxi journey. In an emergency you should call 999.

Taxi complaints to Basildon Council as the Licensing Authority

When considering a complaint you should be aware of the following standards of conduct expected from both drivers and passengers.

A passenger in a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licensed by Basildon Borough Council can expect...

  • that the vehicle will be clean, inside and out;
  • that the driver will be clean, courteous and helpful;
  • that the driver will not smoke or use his mobile phone whilst you are in the car;
  • that you will be taken to your destination by the most direct route;
  • that you will be driven safely and in accordance with the law.

Of course passengers must be aware that they too are expected to comply with expected standards.

The driver of a hackney carriage of private hire vehicle licensed by Basildon Borough Council can expect that their passenger(s)...

  • will be courteous;
  • will not damage the vehicle;
  • will wear a seat belt and ensure that any children with them also wear seat belts;
  • will comply with the reasonable requests of the driver, particularly where they relate to the safety of the passenger;
  • will pay the metered fare at the end of the journey;
  • will not leave any property in the vehicle.

Making a complaint

If you should encounter a problem relating to any of the following:...

  • safety,
  • a driver's behaviour
  • or if you believe a vehicle to be unlicensed,

please contact Taxi Licensing, (see below) , or complete our Online Taxi and Private Hire Complaint Form.

When making a complaint, it is helpful to have:

  •  the vehicle registration number of the taxi or private hire vehicle (shown on the number plate)
  •  the taxi or private hire vehicle licence number (shown on the Council licence plate)
  •  the driver's badge number (normally shown on their badge)
  •  the taxi/private hire vehicle operating firm name (if applicable)

Give as much detail as you can about the journey concerned, such as the time, date and location of the incident.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email