Toggle menu

Our Wat Tyler Education site is currently under construction

If you were trying to access , this site is currently under construction. It will be re-launched in the coming weeks.

Online homeless self-referral and advice

Complete an Online Self-Referral Form

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming imminently homeless, you should complete an online homeless self-referral form in order to get access to the support and advice required.  We will be prioritising contact with those who are already homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness.

Use the following link to register and record your reasons for referring yourself to Basildon Council for homeless advice and support. (Full  instructions are included on the online self-referral form).

Please make sure the information you provide is as detailed as possible, so that your case can be accurately assessed by our Housing Solutions Team.

In order for us to carry out our assessment we may need you to email a clear photo of a form of identification. Unless we see a form of identification we will be unable to assist you fully.

We will need to see either:
•    a valid passport
•    a full birth certificate
•    or valid immigration documents.

Checking a copy of your identification is an interim measure.  At a future point we will need to see the physical document in person to fully verify it.

What happens next?

Once you have submitted the completed online self-referral form:

  • You will receive a text message within 10 working days to let you know when a housing assessment officer will contact you to explore your housing options.
  •  If it is then agreed that you are at imminent risk of homelessness, you will be offered a telephone appointment for a full housing assessment at which your housing options can be considered in more detail.

Utility and Contribution charges

As of 20 November 2023, Basildon Borough Council implemented utility and contribution charges for all clients placed in emergency accommodation.

All clients will be responsible for paying a weekly utility charge. This cost goes towards the utilities at the hotels/B&B's and Nightly lets such as water, heating, and cooking facilities if applicable.

Depending on your housing benefit entitlement, some clients will also need to pay a contribution charge towards the cost of the stay. The contribution charge can range from £20-£99 per week depending on your entitlement but will be capped at a maximum charge of £99.

If you are staying across more than 1 room, there will be a 50% charge of the room cost for each subsequent room.

Please note, anyone that is not entitled to housing benefit due to earnings, fails to make a claim, or is eligible but fails to supply the requested information to support a claim will be charged the full weekly cost of £99 per week as a contribution charge as well as the utility charge.

This is standard practice across local authorities and our surrounding neighbours implement this charge at similar levels.

Accommodation is not free of charge and all clients are therefore expected to contribute to their accommodation costs.

Legally we are permitted to make these charges and we have worked with guidance from the Department for Work and Pensions to ensure they are affordable.

All clients need to be aware that these costs are not negotiable and must be paid. If they are not paid they will be listed as a housing-related debt and could affect your ability to be housed through the housing register and gain a secure tenancy.

Financial assistance advice

If you are experiencing financial difficulty and require help, you can make a self-referral to our Outreach & Engagement Team for support and advice using the below link which will take you to a quick and easy referral form. Referrals on average are looked at within 48 -72 hours of making contact for an initial conversation.

Peabody drop-in sessions are held every Monday and Friday between 10am and 4pm. You can use this service whenever required, and they can provide help and advice on a number of topics. They can support with a variety of issues, including:

  • dealing with difficult housing issues, including evictions
  • managing letters and forms
  • applying for welfare benefits and grants
  • getting services from specialist agencies, such as health or social services
  • dealing with bills, rent arrears and debts
  • dealing with emotional or mental health issues, or alcohol and drug issues
  • getting into work, training or education

The service is available on a drop in basis but due to demand there may be a wait time. If you would prefer an appointment, this can be made for you to return at a set time.