Annual Canvass Of The Register Of Electors (Updating your details)
The electoral canvass takes place every year. It is used to ensure that the data we have on the register of electors is accurate and up to date.
Starting in July, Basildon Council's Electoral Services team will either, hand deliver a Canvass Communication letter or send an email to residents at a property, asking residents to confirm who is currently living in the property and who is eligible to vote.
If you receive an email from Basildon Council's Electoral Services team, you must follow the instructions included and submit a response. If you do not respond to the email, a reminder letter will be hand delivered to your property in late August.
If you receive a canvass communication letter to your property that requires a response and we do not receive a reply, a reminder letter will be hand delivered to your property in late August.
Personal Visits / Telephone Contact - If we require a response from the reminder form delivered to your property in August and do not receive a reply, an official canvasser will visit your property to help us complete the canvass or if you have previously provided us with a telephone number an electoral services team member will contact you to complete the canvass by telephone.
The canvasser will have official Basildon Council identification and any visits or telephone calls will be made during October. Social distancing will be observed on any home visits.
If the details shown on your Canvass Communication Form are up to date
If we have requested a response from your property and all the details shown on your Canvass communication form are correct and up to date then all you have to do is to confirm this by any of the following methods:
- Online: Submit your confirmation online at www.householdresponse.com/basildon.
- By Freephone: Call the Freephone number 0800 197 9871 and follow the instructions.
- By phone text message: Text NOCHANGE followed by the security code on your Canvass Communication Form to 80212.
- By post: Complete the form and send it back to us.
Once you have confirmed that the details shown on your Canvass Communication Form are correct and up to date, we won't write to you again until next year's canvass.
If the details shown on your Canvass Communication Form are NOT up to date
If the details shown on your Canvass Communication Form are incorrect or out of date then all you have to do is send us the correct up to date details by any of the following methods:
- Online: Submit the correct information online at www.householdresponse.com/basildon.
- By post: Complete the form with the correct information and send it back to us. (If anyone has moved out of the property but their details are still on the form, please cross out their name before sending the form back to us).
Once you have submitted the correct information, we won't write to you again until next year's canvass.
The canvass communication form is NOT a registration form. If you add any new people they will also need to complete a registration application. They can do this at GOV.UK - Register to vote. We will send each person an invitation to register form by post if they do not apply online.
Further information and enquiries
- For further information and enquiries please contact the Electoral Services Team.