Toggle menu

Our Wat Tyler Education site is currently under construction

If you were trying to access , this site is currently under construction. It will be re-launched in the coming weeks.

Private Landlords

Landlords Let's work together

Do you have a property to let?

The Property Solutions Scheme helps bring landlords and tenants together. We assess people in housing need, and if they qualify we can secure a tenancy by:

  • Paying one month's rent in advance
  • Offering damage and rent bonds
  • Making a one off cash incentive payment to you for working with us

We understand as a landlord it is important that your investment is protected and is imperative that every reasonable effort is made from the beginning of the tenancy to ensure the risk of the tenancy failing is reduced. We have an experienced team with an excellent working knowledge of Universal Credit, housing legislation and tenancy law. They will provide a comprehensive support service to both tenant and landlords.

The tenancy agreement will be between the landlord and the tenant. Landlords are expected to manage the tenancy including property repairs, maintenance and rent accounting. A dedicated Tenancy Sustainment Officer will be available to assist and support where required to ensure a successful tenancy

Why let your property through Basildon Councils Property Solutions Scheme?

Basildon Council is committed to providing landlords with the highest quality of service.

Our dedicated team of experienced Letting Negotiators and Tenancy Sustainment Officer will act as the first point of contact for landlords and tenants, should any issues not be able to be resolved between yourselves.

We do not charge for our service, it is completely free!

Property Inspections

All properties will be inspected by the Letting Negotiators to ensure they meet the required property standards. During the inspection you will be advised on any health and safety issues, defects or repairs required to ensure the property is safe and to a lettable standard. Following the inspection, you will be advised of any works required before the property can be let.

You will be advised on the documents you will need to provide before you can let the property. These will include:

  • Valid Gas Safety Certificate
  • Valid Electrical Insulation Conditions Report (EICR)
  • Valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • Proof of ownership
  • We ask landlords to organise a professional inventory to be carried out prior to the date of tenancy, we will reimburse for the full cost of the inventory

Your property does not need to be in the Basildon borough to let it through the scheme although it should be in the surrounding area.

Rent and incentives

As a council, we have a duty to ensure the rent is affordable. Therefore, we recommend you set your monthly rent with the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate. You can find your local rate at: Local Housing Allowance rate (opens new window)

We appreciate the private rented market is incredibly competitive, which is why we provide cash incentive payments. Unlike a letting agency, we do not charge any fees for securing the tenant.


Thorough checks are carried out on all prospective tenants and they are assessed on their suitability and affordability before any viewings are arranged.

We can arrange a mutually convenient time for you to meet the prospective tenants. This is a choice based service, therefore you have the right to choose your tenant. We would recommend you attend the viewings.

What we offer landlords

We will attend tenancy sign ups and provide the following documents:

  • Assured shorthold tenancy agreement
  • The bonds will be issued at the time of signing the agreement
  • Completed Right to Rent Checks on all adults over the age of 18 who will be residing at the property
  • Issue the 'How to Rent' guide and all safety certificates to the tenant

Ongoing involvement

At the tenancy sign up you will be given the contact details of the Tenancy Sustainment Officer who can be approached should any issues arise during the tenancy.

The Tenancy Sustainment Officer will assist the tenant in setting up rent payments either via Universal Credit or standing order from their bank account.

The Tenancy Sustainment Officer will carry out mid tenancy inspections ensuring your property is being maintained to a good clean standard, you will be notified after each visit via email.

What to do next

If you are interested in letting a property through the scheme, please complete the application form and a member of the team will contact you. To complete the application form, visit:

Private Landlords - Apply to join the Property Solutions Scheme

Or if you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact us on:

Further information and enquiries

Private rented sector team