Toggle menu

If you need to log an emergency repair to a council property, please call 0800 011 3241.

All webpages and PDFs are produced in the United Kingdom and written in only English. The default human language is identified as en-GB. Further information can be found in the accessibility statement shown in the footer of each page:

Local Emergency Incidents - Warn and Inform Scheme

Emergency Planning - Plan Today, Be Prepared for Tomorrow.
When a serious emergency incident occurs, it is vital that all who may be affected are warned of any danger as soon as possible in order to be informed as well as staying updated of any developments throughout the period of the emergency. Some incidents may require a temporary evacuation of residents from their homes and possible road closures so it is vital for individuals affected to stay updated so that they may make the best possible decisions for their families and businesses to minimise any potential loss.

Everybody who lives and works within Basildon can join the Warn and Inform scheme aimed at improving the way the public are notified about local emergency incidents such as Fires, Road Traffic Collisions  etc., that might affect the area where they live or work. Certain individuals may face the prospect of being evacuated temporarily or conversely may be prevented from gaining access to streets they use on a daily basis during such incidents.

In the event of an emergency, residents who have joined the scheme will automatically receive either,

  • a text message via their mobile phone or
  • an email message

outlining important advice and information regarding any local emergency.

Join the Warn and Inform scheme

Joining the Warn and Inform Scheme is simple. Complete the Warn and Inform Scheme (Sign up Now) form and simply provide us with your post code and either a mobile phone number or an email address to receive information about any emergency incident which might occur in the area where you live.

This service is free of charge and you can opt out at any time.

Dealing with local emergency incidents and evacuations

Local emergency incidents such as Fires, Road Traffic Collisions etc., are dealt with by one or more of the blue light services:

  • Essex Fire and Rescue Service
  • Essex Police  or
  • Essex Ambulance Service.

Some incidents may require a temporary evacuation of residents from their homes. Evacuations are normally arranged by the Police with the assistance of Basildon Council.

Basildon Council has a responsibility to look after people who have been evacuated from any area within the District. The Council also has a duty to keep residents informed in the event of an emergency that involves an evacuation.