COVID-19 - Financial support for parents and guardians of someone who has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace
Help that is available
Since 8 March 2021, customers may be entitled to a Test and Trace Support Payment or a discretionary payment if they are a parent or guardian who is not legally required to self-isolate, but needs to take time off work to look after a child or young person who is self-isolating.
Unregistered childcare providers, informal childcare arrangements, home-schooling and after-school/weekend/holiday activities (e.g. Scouts/Guides, sports clubs, summer camps) is not covered. This is not an exhaustive list.
Apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment
From Monday 16 August 2021, if you are a parent and guardian of either:
- a child aged 15 or under who normally attends an education or childcare setting and has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because they have tested positive for coronavirus
- a person aged 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan who normally attends an education or childcare setting, and has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because they have tested positive for coronavirus
- a person aged 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan who normally attends an education or childcare setting, is not fully vaccinated and has been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate because they have been named as a close contact of a positive case
You will qualify for financial support providing you meet all of the following conditions:
- you have been named as a close contact of the child or young person who has tested positive for coronavirus and have your own NHS Test and Trace account ID number
- you are unable to work from home and need to take time off work to care for the child or young person whilst they are self-isolating and will lose income as a result
- you meet all the other eligibility criteria for a Test and Trace Support Payment or discretionary payment (see eligibility criteria above)
Evidence to Upload
The following infomation needs to be uploaded to support your application:
- the unique eight-digit ID number provided by NHS Test and Trace asking that you self-isolate (this will include your Unique ID number)
- recent proof that you are receiving one of the qualifying benefits (If applicable)
- a recent bank statement (which shows the full name on the account, the full account number and sort code)
- recent proof of employment (most recent payslip), or, if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact.
Please help us to process your application quicker by making sure you have included all the supporting evidence asked for when completing your online application. Not giving us all of the correct information causes delays.
Failure to provide the supporting evidence will result in your application being rejected.
Find out more
For further information on what versions of the scheme are available, plus what other supporting evidence you need to upload, please visit the link below.