Toggle menu

COVID-19 - Test and Trace Support Payments

Help that is available

In response to the Coronavirus the Government has announced that individuals losing income after being asked to self-isolate by the NHS Test and Trace scheme may be eligible for a lump sum payment of £500. From 28 September 2020, low-income residents can receive a lump sum payment of £500 if:

a) self-isolating after testing positive

b) have been identified as a positive contact for COVID-19 and have been asked to self-isolate by the NHS

Please note an application can be made at any time up to 42 days after the first day of self-isolation.  The Council will not accept any applications after this point. 

Apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment

Your eligibility

If you haven't tested positive 

Unless they have tested positive for coronavirus, the following groups are exempt from self-isolation and will not qualify for the support payment if their isolation period commenced on or after Monday 16th August 2021:  

  • Those below the age of 18 years and 6 months who have been named as a close contact of a positive case (even if they have not been vaccinated)
  • Those who are fully vaccinated (even if they live in the same household as a positive case, if they themselves test negative, they won't be required to self-isolate) 
  • Children named as a close contact of a positive case from their school (therefore parents/guardians won't have to take time off work to take care of their children) 

If you have tested positive 

Fully vaccinated adults who test positive are still required to self-isolate, meaning they are still eligible, providing they also meet all of the following conditions: 

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace  
  • have engaged with Test and Trace to complete the contact tracing journey, the link to do this will be on the text or email received from Test and Trace 
  • be employed or self-employed 
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result 
  • be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit. 

Information for parents and guardians of someone who has been told to isolate

If you're applying for a payment as a parent or guardian of someone who has been told to isolate to NHS Test and Trace, there are different eligibility rules and evidence to upload. Please see the link below for further information.

Versions of the scheme you may be eligible for

The Standard Scheme

Under the standard scheme you must be receiving a qualifying benefit to be eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment. For full details of the Standard Scheme see:

The Discretionary Scheme

The Test and Trace Payment Discretionary scheme is open to those that cannot apply under the standard scheme, those that are in employment or self-employed. For full details of the Discretionary Scheme see:

  • the unique eight-digit ID number provided by NHS Test and Trace asking that you self-isolate (this will include your Unique ID number)
  • recent proof that you are receiving one of the qualifying benefits (If applicable)
  • a recent bank statement (which shows the full name on the account, the full account number and sort code)
  • recent proof of employment (most recent payslip), or, if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact.

Please help us to process your application quicker by making sure you have included all the supporting evidence asked for when completing your online application. Not giving us all of the correct information causes delays.

Failure to provide the supporting evidence will result in your application being rejected.

COVID-19 - Financial support for parents and guardians of someone who has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace

If you're applying as a parent/guardian of someone who has been told to self-isolate, you also need the following:

  • A Contact Tracing and Advisory Service (CTAS) ID Number for the child (if available) 
  • A letter from the child's school or childcare setting which includes the child's name and dates of isolation 
  • If the child is over 15, then evidence of the child's Education, Health and Care plan 
  • A recent bank statement (which shows the full name on the account, the full account number and sort code). 

If you were unable to supply any or all of the supporting evidence at the time of submitting your original application, that evidence can be  be sent to us at a later date using the following online form. We will accept: electronic documents (.pdf, .doc, .docx or similar), scanned images, photo images, screenshots etc.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email