Council Tax is an important bill to pay and non-payment can lead to penalties and you may be subject to recovery proceedings.
There are services available that can provide help and advice if you are struggling.
The Council Tax charge is based on two or more adults living in a property. If the property is the main residence of just one adult, you may be entitled to a 25% Council Tax Single Person Discount.
In certain circumstances there are other discounts or exemptions that can be offered. To see if you are eligible for any of these you can check here.
If you do find that you sometimes miss your council tax payment then you can set up text message reminders for when your council tax falls into arrears.
Money Saving Tips
- Don't struggle with debt, receive free and impartial money advice that has been set up by the government. Money Advice Service
- Talk to one of the national debt advice agencies, such as National Debt Line or Stepchange Debt Charity
- Use a budget planner so that you can be in control of your spending
- Try to arrange all of your direct debits close together so that you do not get an unexpected bill
- Don't panic and don't ignore the problem, it wont go away
- Don't take out more credit - you'll only end up in a worse situation
- Don't pay off the person who is shouting the loudest, but pay the most important ones like mortgage and rent, council tax, gas and electricity. Otherwise you will be in danger of losing your home, having your gas and electricity cut off, or ending up in Court
- Work out how much you can realistically afford. It's easy to be panicked into offering more
- Think twice about taking out a loan to pay off all your debts. You may end up paying back a lot more than you borrowed and at very high interest rates; you may not be able to afford the repayments and the loan may be secured against your home, which you could then lose
- Get local free, confidential, independent advice from Citizens Advice who will help you work out repayments and negotiate with your creditors, as well as helping you to keep out of debt in the future.