Community Governance Review
A Community Governance Review
The terms of reference for a Community Governance Review that is being undertaken in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 are available to view below.
These terms of reference incorporate the review being undertaken following the receipt of a petition from electors of the Wickford area for the creation of a new parish and the subsequent arrangements for a parish council to be formed.
The Scope of the Review
The scope will be a full community governance across the whole area of the Basildon Borough. The review will consider
- a) whether any parishes should be constituted/established
- b) whether any existing parishes should or should not be abolished or whether the area of existing parishes should be altered, and
- c) what the electoral arrangements for new or existing parishes, which are to have parish councils, should be.
Electoral arrangements include:
- i. The name of such new parish
- ii. Ordinary year of election - the year in which ordinary elections of town and parish councillors are held
- iii. Council size - the number of councillors to be elected to the parish council
- iv. Parish warding - whether the parish should be divided into wards for the purpose of electing councillors. This includes considering the number and boundaries of any such wards, the number of councillors to be elected for any such ward and the name of any such ward
It may also make recommendations about:
- a) the grouping or degrouping of parishes
- b) adding parishes to an existing group of parishes
No matters will be out of scope
Current Parishes and Proposed Wickford Parish Map
Please see the below link to the Government's Guidance on Community Governance Reviews
If you would like to make representations in connection with the review or if you have any queries, please contact us using the options below:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Post to:Community Governance ReviewElectoral ServicesBasildon Borough CouncilThe Basildon CentreSt. Martin's SquareBasildonEssexSS14 1DL
Before making any proposals on the basis for further consultation as set out in the terms of reference, the Council will take account of any representations received. The Council will notify each consultee and any other persons or bodies who have made written representations of the outcome of the review.