The Mayoral Badge of Office represents all parts of Basildon Borough.
Clockwise from the top:
- the sailing ship represents Billericay and marks the Mayflower expedition to the New World in the year 1620 which included a number of families from the town
- the corn sheaf and scythe represent Wickford
- the mallard rising from the marshland is for Pitsea
- the 17th Century St Nicholas church on the hill represents Laindon
- at the centre is a silhouette of the Mother and Child Statue by Maurice Lambert, commissioned in 1959 to symbolise the growth of the New Town and which stands today in Basildon's Town Square.