Basildon Borough Council is responsible for the licensing of scrap metal sites and scrap metal collectors within Basildon Borough.
Requirements of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (England and Wales)
- The holder of a Scrap Metal Site Licence issued by Basildon Council is only authorised to carry on business at a scrap metal site located within the boundaries of Basildon Borough.
- The holder of a Scrap Metal Collector's Licence issued by Basildon Council is only authorised to carry out business as a mobile scrap metal collector within the boundaries of Basildon Borough.
- The holder of a Scrap Metal Licence issued by Basildon Council must not receive scrap metal from any person without verifying their name and address.
- The holder of a Scrap Metal Licence issued by Basildon Council must not buy scrap metal for cash.
- A Scrap Metal Site Licence issued by Basildon Council must be displayed in a prominent place, accessible to the public, at each site identified in the licence.
- A Scrap Metal Collector's Licence issued by Basildon Council must be displayed on any vehicle that is being used in the course of the business and must be easily read by a person outside the vehicle.
- The holder of a Scrap Metal Site or a Scrap Metal Collectors Licence issued by Basildon Council must keep a record of all scrap metal received including:
- Description including type, form, condition, weight, any marks identifying previous owners or distinguishing features;
- Date and time;
- The registration mark of the vehicle it was delivered in or on;
- The full name and address of the person received from;
- The full name of the person who makes the payment acting for the dealer.
- The holder of a Scrap Metal Licence issued by Basildon Council must keep a record of all scrap metal disposed of including:
- Description including type, form and weight (site licence holders only);
- Date and time;
- The full name and address of the person disposed to;
- If payment is made (by sale or exchange), the price of other consideration received (site licence holders only).
- The holder of a Scrap Metal Licence issued by Basildon Council must:
- keep accurate records of their business transactions for 3 years
- allow Basildon Council or the police to inspect their premises and records if asked.
Applicants must hold a 'Basic Disclosure Certificate'
As a part of the application process scrap metal licence applicants are required to provide Basildon Council with a Basic Disclosure Certificate. A Basic Disclosure Certificate is the evidence needed to show that any person who applies for a Scrap Metal Licence has been found suitable to carry on in business as a scrap metal dealer.
Basildon Council will not consider issuing a scrap metal licence to any applicant(s) who can not provide Basildon Council with a Basic Disclosure Certificate. In the case of a partnership, this means that a Basic Disclosure Certificate must be provided for each of the partners in the partnership, while in the case of a company it means that a Basic Disclosure Certificate must be provided for any directors, company secretaries or shadow directors.
IMPORTANT: Basildon Council will not accept a Basic Disclosure Certificate which is more than 3 months past its date of issue.
You can request a Basic Criminal record check online form on the Gov.uk website. For details see:..
Applications for a scrap metal licence
Guidance notes and planning applications advice
Please ensure that you read the following Guidance Notes before submitting your licence application.
Please remember; planning permission may be required in relation to your scrap metal business premises. For further information see Submit a Planning Application Online.
Licence applications (including renewals) can be submitted as follows:
Licence variation applications can be submitted as follows:
Online applications will be acknowledged by email.
Provided your application is correctly made, we will aim to process it within 30 working days. If this is not possible, we will inform you and provide an explanation as to the reason.
If your application is refused and you wish to appeal, please contact us in the first instance, see contact details at bottom of this page. Any applicant has the right to appeal to the Magistrates Court. Appeals must be made within 21 days of the refusal.
Additional information you must supply with of your licence application
Basildon Council requires applicants to submit the following additional information in support of their licence application:
- Photographic ID (i.e. Full driving licence, current valid passport);
- Birth certificate;
- Proof of address (must be less than 3 months old) i.e. utility bill or bank statement;
- Certificate of good conduct for applicants that have been resident outside of the country for long periods, from the age of 10 years;
- Documentation showing right to work (residents permits);
- Relevant environmental permits/licence in force i.e. current scrap metal dealers licence, waste carrier's permit;
- Proof of bank account details that will be used for payments to suppliers;
- A passport sized photograph.
Scrap metal licence fees
The fees for a new scrap metal dealer licence (both site licence and collectors licence) are split into 2 parts as follows:
- Initial Application for a site licence (3 years) - £250.00
- Grant of site licence (3 years) - £95.00
- Initial Application for a collectors licence (3 years) - £180.00
- Grant of a collectors licence (3 years) - £80.00
- Variation of either of the above licences - £65.00
- Renewal of site licence (3 years) £240.00
- Renewal of collectors licence (3 years) - £190.00
Fines and penalties
You could be fined £5,000 if you are found to be engaged in the scrap metal business without a valid Scrap Metal Licence.
You could also be restricted to working under the following conditions, or risk losing your licence:
- You must not receive scrap metal except between 9am and 5pm on any day.
- All scrap metal must be kept in the form it was received up to 72 hours from when it was received.
Basildon Council may revoke a Scrap Metal Licence at any time and close unlicensed sites.