Do not believe the sayings about lightning...it can strike in the same place twice, it doesn't always strike the highest object and it always hits the best conductor. High winds are also the most common cause of weather related damage in the UK.
The following advice and information will help keep you, your family and property safe during high winds or lightning.
When a storm is forecast.
- Secure loose objects that could cause damage outside.
- Securely fasten doors and windows.
- Unplug all non-essential electrical appliances.
- Park vehicles in a garage if possible otherwise keep them clear of buildings, walls, fences and trees.
During the storm.
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- Avoid using the phone as telephone lines can conduct electricity.
- Avoid using taps and sinks as metal pipes can conduct electricity.
- If you must go outside, avoid water and try not to walk or shelter close to buildings and trees.
- Do not go outside to repair damage.
- Avoid driving; if you must drive take extra care.
- Avoid activities such as golf, rod fishing or boating on a lake if lightning is forecast.
After the storm.
- Avoid downed power lines or broken cables.
- Make sure neighbours are safe.
- Ensure any repair work is carried out safely.
- See also Recovering from an Emergency .