Applications for a Building Control Regularisation Certificate - to cover building work which has been carried out without notification or approval.

Image of the Local Authority Building Control LogoThere is provision in the Building Regulations to "Regularise" unauthorised building work (work carried out without notification or approval) that has been commenced on or after 11 November 1985.

However, in applying for this "Regularisation" of unauthorised work you must be prepared to open up as much of the construction as necessary in order for the Building Control Surveyor to ascertain compliance with the Building Regulations.

If this is carried out and the works comply or if alterations are made to ensure compliance with the Regulations a "Completion Certificate" will be issued.

If works do not comply or you are not prepared to open up the necessary areas for inspection no certificate will be issued.

You must be aware that if you have carried out works which leave the building in a life threatening condition the Council may take action to remedy the matter at your cost.

Regularisation Certificate application form and list of fees

There is a charge payable to the Council for this type of application which must be deposited with your application for it to be valid.

This Regularisation Charge is not refundable irrespective of whether you obtain a completion certificate or not.

Completed forms and any other documentation should be returned:

By email to: - Include attachments of your completed application and supporting plans etc. Please include a phone number if you would like us to contact you for payment of Building Control fees by phone.

By post to:

Building Control Services
Basildon Council
The Basildon Centre
St Martin's Square
Basildon, Essex
SS14 1DL