Local planning policy is set out in the Borough's Development Plan. This is the term used to describe the group of planning documents prepared by Basildon Borough Council and Essex County Council from which development proposals for the use of land and buildings, mineral deposits and waste sites are controlled throughout the Basildon Borough.
The Development Plan in the Basildon Borough consists:
Basildon District Local Plan Saved Policies 2007
Approved by the Secretary of State via a Direction issued on 20 September 2007. Originally they were part of the Basildon District Local Plan, adopted in March 1998 with Alterations in September 1999.
The Saved Policies represent the local planning policies currently applied by the Council to inform the determination of planning applications in the Borough and enforce planning control.
Downloadable Document: Basildon District Local Plan Saved Policies - September 2007 [400kb]
1998 Proposals Maps
Please note - care should be taken when using the following Proposals Maps and Inset Maps, as some policies and their corresponding land allocations or designations may no longer apply. Please always read in conjunction with the Basildon District Local Plan Saved Policies document.
Conservation Area Boundary Changes 2013
As a result of changes approved by the Council in December 2012 - see Basildon Council - 13 December Cabinet - Agenda and minutes, the boundaries of Billericay and Great Burstead Conservation Area are different to those displayed on the 1998 Proposals Map for Conservation Areas above.
- Billericay Town Centre Conservation Area Boundary Change Public Notice - The London Gazette Public Notice - Billericay Conservation Area
- Great Burstead Conservation Area Boundary Change Public Notice - The London Gazette Public Notice - Great Burstead Conservation Area
Supplementary Planning Documents or Guidance (SPD/SPG)
Use of Local Labour and Apprenticeships 2013:
Local Labour and Apprenticeship Schemes - Guidance for Major Developments: Employment and Training - the use of Local Labour and Apprenticeship Schemes [48kb]
Basildon Town Centre Masterplan 2012:
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - refer to Basildon Council - 13 December Cabinet - Agenda and minutes for further guidance.
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 1 - Retail [3Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 2 - Residential [2Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 3 - Market [3Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 4 - Theatre [3Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 5 - Heritage [5Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 6 - Car Parking [2Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 7a - Community Impact [571kb]
- Basildon Town Center Masterplan - Appendix 7b - Impact appendices [4Mb]
Conservation Area Management Plans 2012:
Parking Standards 2009:
Parking Standards - Design and Good Practice (September 2009) [4Mb] - sets out the local parking standards for the Borough.
Interim Planning Obligations Strategy 2008:
Pitsea Town Centre Masterplan 2007:
Wickford Town Centre Masterplan 2006:
Development Control Guidelines 1997/2006:
Basildon District Development Control Guidelines 1997 SPG [62kb] - sets out Basildon Council's Development Control Guidelines for new residential development, extensions to existing dwellings, shop fronts and advertisements. In addition, it sets out the Council's policies on residential development in the Green Belt and Children's Play spaces.
Gardiners Lane South 2003:
Gardiner's Lane South 2003 Supplementary Planning Guidance - Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) relating to an an allocated Development Plan site adjacent to Gardiners Lane South.