Planning Policy - current local policy
Current local planning policy as laid down in the council's Development Plan is currently being reviewed and will, in due course, be replaced by the Local Development Framework (LDF).
Current local planning policy is laid down in Basildon Council's Development Plan.
'Development Plan' is the term used to describe the group of planning documents by which development for land use, minerals and waste matters are controlled throughout the Basildon Borough.
These documents are currently being reviewed and will be replaced by the Local Development Framework (LDF).
The current Development Plan in the Basildon Borough includes the following:
- Basildon District Local Plan Saved Policies document, as approved by the Secretary of State through a Direction issued on 20th September 2007. Saved Policies are policies that were originally part of the Basildon District Local Plan, adopted on March 1998, with Alterations in September 1999.
In addition to National Planning Policy (the NPPF), the Basildon District Local Plan Saved Policies represent the local planning policies currently applied by the Council to determine planning applications in the Borough and enforce planning control.
Downloadable: Basildon District Local Plan Saved Policies - September 2007 [400kb]
Associated maps: Please note that care should be taken when using the following Proposals Maps and Inset Maps, as some policies and their corresponding land allocations or designations may no longer apply. Please always read in conjunction with the Basildon District Local Plan Saved Policies document.
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)/ Guidance (SPG)
Basildon Town Centre Masterplan
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - refer to Basildon Council - 13 December Cabinet - Agenda and minutes for further guidance.
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 1 - Retail [3Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 2 - Residential [2Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 3 - Market [3Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 4 - Theatre [3Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 5 - Heritage [5Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 6 - Car Parking [2Mb]
- Basildon Town Centre Masterplan - Appendix 7a - Community Impact [571kb]
- Basildon Town Center Masterplan - Appendix 7b - Impact appendices [4Mb]
Other Town Centre Masterplans
Conservation Area Management Plans:
Please review the above interim SPD's alongside: Basildon Council - 13 December Cabinet - Agenda and minutes
Parking Standards - Design and Good Practice (September 2009) [4Mb] - sets out the local parking standards for the Borough.
Development Control Guidelines:
Basildon District Development Control Guidelines 1997 SPG [62kb] - sets out Basildon Council's Development Control Guidelines for new residential development, extensions to existing dwellings, shop fronts and advertisements. In addition, it sets out the Council's policies on residential development in the Green Belt and Children's Play spaces.
Guidance for Major Developments
Employment and training requirements: Employment and Training - the use of local labour and apprenticeship schemes [48kb]
Interim Planning Obligations Strategy 2008
Gardiners Lane South:
Gardiner's Lane South 2003 Supplementary Planning Guidance - Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) relating to the site adjacent to Gardiners Lane South, identified within the Basildon District Local Plan 1991-2001 as a Comprehensive Development Area.