Domestic abuse - Helplines for information and advice
Don't suffer in silence. There is a wide range of different organisations which can offer real help and advice to the victims of domestic abuse.
Domestic abuse isn't just physical violence.
1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men will be victims of Domestic Abuse. It can be: Mental - Emotional - Sexual - Financial control - Bullying - Isolation - Harassment - Forced marriage - Honour based violence.
Don't suffer in silence, for support and advice you can call...
Temporary accommodation, housing and legal advice, counselling, play work with children. 24 hour on call service.
Parklands II Women's Centre
Support and information for female victims of abusive relationships - by telephone appointment only.
- Phone: 01268 729707
- Website: Changing Pathways
- Postal address:
Southend Domestic Abuse Services
- Phone: 01702 291 266
SHE (Safe Haven East)
Co-ordinates refuge bed space in Essex region, based in Westcliff-on-Sea.
- Phone: 01702 300 006
The Dove Project
Drop in centre for women suffering domestic violence. Services include daily drop in, coffee mornings, one to one counselling sessions, group work and outreach service.
- 24 hour crisis phoneline: 01702 300 006
- Daytime phone: 01702 302 333
- Postal address:
Basildon Police Domestic Violence Unit
Support for victims who are having partners prosecuted. Can include offering general advice on powers of arrest and can accompany victims to court.
Where appropriate the Domestic Violence Liaison Officer will put victims in touch with other partnership agencies.
- Direct phoneline: 01268 244 092
- Phone switchboard - 01268 532 212
- Postal address:
Phone numbers for Police in neighbouring districts
- Southend: 01702 431 212
- Rayleigh: 0300 333444
- Thurrock: 01375 391212
- Brentwood: 01279 641212
Local Councils' Homelessness Services
Basildon Council Housing Advice
- Phone: 01268 533333
Basildon Council Homelessness service
- Emergency (out of hours): 01268 286622
- Phone, office hours: 01268 533333
Castle Point Council
- Phone, office hours: 01268 758 357
- Emergency (out of hours): 01268 758 357
- Phone: 01375 652 820
Chelmsford City Council
Temporary accommodation and housing advice for people who are threatened with homelessness or who wish to leave their home.
- Phone: 01245 606 006
Essex County Council Social Services
Essex County Council Social Services provide help and advice for families under stress, when there are concerns regarding child abuse. They can also give support for children with disabilities.
If the family does not have an allocated social worker, contact the Social Services office and ask to be connected to the 'Screening Team', who will then refer to the appropriate department.
- Essex County Council Social Services Emergency Helpline (out of hours) - 0345 603 7627 and/or 0345 606 1212
- Essex County Council Social Services in Basildon, Phone: 0345 603 7630
- Essex County Council Social Services in Castlepoint, Phone: 0345 603 7630
- Essex County Council Social Services in Chelmsford, Phone: 0345 603 7630
- Essex County Council Social Services in Brentwood, Phone: 0345 603 7630
Gives emotional support and practical help to victims of crime (including domestic violence).
Also advice on criminal compensation and help in attending court.
- National helpline number - 0845 303 0900
- Website: Victim Support
Mens' Advice Line
Support for male victims of domestic violence, includes a telephone counselling helpline for men and their children.
- Helpline - 0808 801 0327 (Monday to Friday 10am-1pm and 2pm-5pm)
- Website: Men's Advice Line website
For lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people experiencing domestic violence.
- National helpline number - 0300 999 5428
- Website: Broken Rainbow
Support for male victims.
- National helpline number - 01822 334244
- Website: MANKIND
Organisation providing a listening and support service for people in crisis by offering a telephone befriending or face to face befriending service.
- National Phoneline: 0845 790 9090
- Basildon Phoneline: 01268 412 000
- Chelmsford Phoneline: 01245 357 357
- Southend Phoneline: 01702 611 911
- Website: Samaritans - Find your nearest branch
South Essex Rape and Incest Crisis Centre (SERICC)
Offers One to One or Telephone support. Plus counselling for women and girls (over 13) who have been or are suffering sexual violence.
- Phone: 01375 380609
- Website: South Essex Rape and Incest Crisis Centre (SERICC)
For information and advice regarding concerns relating to child protection issues (children at risk of being abused). Will carry out assessments.