Creating Opportunity
Image icon - Group of people

Boundary fences, noise, access rights & objections from neighbours

Responsibility for boundary lines, fences and walls

Local Authority Building Control Logo

Boundary lines, fences, walls etc are usually indicated on the title deeds or Land Registry document.

If you have a mortgage your lender will hold these.

On older property where no indication exists you may need to take legal advice as to your boundaries if they are in doubt.

Building Control cannot offer any advice as to who may own fences or land.

Builders are working next door - do I have to let them on my land?

This is not a matter covered by Building Regulations.

In most cases it could be covered by an agreement under the Party Wall Act. See Planning Portal - The Party Wall etc Act 1996, where you can download a free booklet on the subject.

If you agree to let your neighbour's builder have access do so in writing with an agreement for them to repair any damage. Take photographs before any work starts to avoid disputes.

If you do not agree to the builders working from your land and they do so regardless, you must consult your solicitor quickly to ensure that the situation is controlled.

This can be particularly important if boundary fences are removed.

From more information - Working on your property boundary.

Controlling the noise levels and hours of building work.

The noise and hours of building works cannot be controlled by Building Regulations.

Builders commonly work from 7.30am to 6.00pm from Monday to Saturday, however, it is not uncommon for them to work outside these times.

If you feel that the noise and/or hours of work are above what you believe to be tolerable you should contact Environmental Health who can advise you further - phone 01268 294277.

Building operations are noisy and vibration caused by work on an building may add to the actual level of disturbance.

Powered by GOSS iCM