Creating Opportunity
image icon - 13 Amp Socket

Building Control Advice - Electrical Regulations

Since 1st January 2005 it has been necessary to have Building Regulation approval for any electrical work undertaken in your home or garden.

Local Authority Building Control Logo Important notice for all householders:

  • This means that all electrical work must be installed by a competent person or electrician.
  • Work must have a certificate of compliance as per the Electrical Regulations or Building Regulations (BS7671)
  • The aim of this new requirement is to reduce deaths caused by defective electrical installations.

Remember you will be breaking the law if you do not obtain the relevant approval or certification for installations.

You will also be asked to supply evidence of satisfactory installation when selling or mortgaging the house if you own it.

EXCEPTIONS - Electrical work that does not need building regulation approval:

  • Work connected to a 13A plug
  • Certain minor works such as replacement of sockets, switches or roses
  • Minor replacement of one cable
  • Adding lighting points or sockets to existing circuits providing not in a bathroom, kitchen, sauna, pools, gardens etc.

How to get Building Regulation approval:

  • If the work is carried out by a "registered installer" (see below), they will certify that it complies with Building Regulations and notify the Council, you will not have to approach the Council yourself. There is no fee to the Council if you choose to use a "registered installer".
  • If you do not use a "registered installer" you must obtain    for the work.
  • You can choose to use a competent electrician who is not a "registered installer" but who does have all the necessary training and experience to carry out the work. If such a person can demonstrate their competence to the Council's Building Control Service then they will be granted Building Regulation approval from the Council for work carried out on your behalf. However, if you choose to use such an accepted competent electrician then a fee of £58.75 (inc VAT) will be charged by the Council.
  • If you feel experienced enough, you can carry out the work yourself but do not cover any work up before you have made a     application or before the Council's inspectors give their approval or the work will not be accepted. Be warned,if you choose to do the work yourself then a fee of between £117.50 and £293.00 (inc VAT) will be charged by the Council depending on scope of the work.

A fee will be charged by the Council.
The fee charged will vary according to the route you choose:

  • Using a registered installer - no fee to council
  • Using a accepted competent electrician £ 58.75 (inc VAT)
  • DIY or not using an accepted competent electrician between £117.50 and £293.00 (inc VAT) depending on scope of the work.

Costs are approximate at present and will be confirmed in January

How to find a "registered installer": Currently look at the web sites of:

How to find a competent electrician:

Look at membership of or ask for evidence of:

  • Electrical Contractors' Association
  • CITB defined competence scheme
  • NAPIT Certification scheme

If in doubt ask first Basildon Building Control helpline 01268 294182

Powered by GOSS iCM