Appraisals and Assessments
Details of Local Plan Sustainability Appraisals, Strategic Environmental Assessments and Habitat Regulation Assessment
IMPORTANT CHANGE; From March 2012, changes to national planning policy replaced the term 'Local Development Framework' (LDF) with the term 'Local Plan'. Any historic references to the LDF in our documentation should be now considered as if they read 'Local Plan'
Local Plans must, by law, be prepared using taking into account the findings of Sustainability Appraisal (SA), Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and Habitat Regulation Assessments (HRA).
- SA is a methodical evaluation of a plan or policy that examines it from a social, environmental and economic perspective to try and make sure it helps deliver sustainable development;
- SEA is undertaken at the same time as SA to ensure the plan or policies comply with European Directive 2001/42/AC which seeks to ensure Special Protection Areas (Spas) and Special Areas of Conservation (Sacs) are not adversely impacted by a plan/ policy;
Whilst the objectives of SA and SEA are different, their methodologies are similar. Therefore the continual SA process of each Local Plan incorporates the necessary assessment requirements of the SEA Directive, ensuring sustainability and environmental issues are embedded into every Local Plan's preparation.
- HRA is undertaken to assess whether the plan will have any impact on sites protected by Directive 92/43/EEC (Natura 2000 sites). The Directive requires an Appropriate Assessment (AA) to be carried out to ascertain whether the proposed plan would adversely affect the integrity of the sites.
Whilst there are no Natura 2000 sites in the Borough, there are a number within 15 km of the boundaries and a few further afield that have a role in the Borough's water supply.
Latest News - Core Strategy Revised Preferred Options Report 2013
As part of the production of its Core Strategy Revised Preferred Options Report 2013, the Council has carried out a a SA (including SEA) and HRA.
The SA Report for the Core Strategy Revised Preferred Options Report are available below:
Sustainability Appraisal Non Technical Summary - December 2013 [628kb]
Sustainability Appraisal - December 2013 [4Mb]
Sustainability Appraisal Technical Appendices - December 2013 [8Mb]
Habitat Regulations Assessment Screening - December 2013 [730kb]
Adopted SA/SEA Scoping Report 1st November 2013
The Council updated its SA/SEA Scoping Report in line with legislation to inform the preparation of the Local Plan Core Strategy Revised Preferred Options Report taking in to account comments made by statutory consultees during the consultation period (31 July - 11 September 2013).
The new SA/SEA Scoping Report 2013 updates and supersedes all previous versions.
Core Strategy Preferred Options Report 2012
As part of the production of its Core Strategy Preferred Options Report 2012, the Council undertook a SA/SE.
The purpose of this appraisal was to determine the performance, in sustainability terms, of the Core Strategy to assist with the identification of the appropriate policies, predict implications for sustainable development and put forward recommendations for improvement where necessary.
A Sustainability Appraisal Report (SA Report), documenting the findings of the SA process, is being published alongside the Core Strategy Preferred Options, in accordance with the SEA Regulations and SA Guidance.
The SA Report for the Core Strategy Preferred Options Report and its appendices are available below:
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy Preferred Options - February 2012 [687kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 1 SEA Directive Compliance [17kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 2 Scoping Report Consultees list [11kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 3 Plans, Programmes and Policies Review [67kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 4 SA matrices of Strategic Objectives [451kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 5 SA matrices of Spatial Options [470kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 6 SA matrices of Core Policies and PADC [728kb]
SA/ SEA Scoping Report and Site Assessment Methodology 2008/2011
All S As are subject to a Scoping stage, where Statutory Consultees and other bodies are invited to comment on the scope and level of detail of the SA to be carried out for each document.
The Council has consulted on both its Core Strategy SA/SEA Scoping Report and its Site Assessment Methodology & Criteria. This consultation lasted for five weeks (2 July - 6 August 2008) and 32 statutory and specialist organisations were invited to comment on the draft.
The responses are set out in this document Responses to the SA/ SEA Site Assessment Methodology and Criteria [241kb]
Before adopting the SA/SEA Scoping Report and the Site Assessment Methodology and Criteria, the Council consulted, between 21 March and 26 April 2011, the statutory consultees (the Environment Agency, Natural England and English Heritage) in order to confirm they had no further objections.
The responses to this consultation are set out in the following document Statutory Consultee responses to the Consultation on SA/ SEA Criteria [156kb]
On the 2 June 2011, Cabinet adopted:
- Core Strategy Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report - June 2011 [1Mb]
- Site Assessment Methodology and Criteria Adopted June 2011.pdf [477kb]
- LDF Contextual Baseline Report - May 2008 [17Mb]
The SA/SEA Scoping Report defined the Sustainability Appraisal Framework and the 19 Sustainability Appraisal Objectives against which the Core Strategy objectives and policies will be assessed.
The Site Assessment Methodology and Criteria, based on the 19 Sustainability Appraisal Objectives defined in the Scoping Report, was developed to assess the sustainability of potential sites. It is part of the overall SA/SEA process and provided a basic level of assessments to help considering options for land allocations.