Search site
Image icon - Apply

Apply for Discretionary and/or Exceptional Hardship Payments

Extra financial help for those in receipt of Housing Benefit OR Universal Credit - a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) can help with rent and an Exceptional Hardship Payment (EHP) can help with Council Tax or housing costs.

There is a very limited amount of money available each year for Discretionary (DHP) and Exceptional Hardship Payments (EHP) to those in receipt of Housing Benefit OR Universal Credit.

However, it must be realised that because of the limited amount of money available there is no guarantee applicants will receive any extra help through the DHP / EHP scheme.

Before making a decision on any application we receive, we will consider all the factors involved including the following:

  • What makes your circumstances different, exceptional or critical.
  • Whether a payment will provide real help to your situation.
  • How long you need the help for and whether there are other ways to help your financial situation.
  • How much you will receive and for how long.

Submit your application now;Do it Online - Medium
Claim online for Discretionary and Exceptional Hardship Payments

Please Note: If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you will need to provide us with evidence of your last two months breakdown. This can be done using our Contact Us Form

You can apply for extra help if the amount of Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Support is less than the rent or Council Tax you have to pay.

The award of a DHP or EHP is meant to be a short term solution to help you find cheaper accommodation or look at ways of improving and managing your finances. How much you get depends on the circumstances of your household.

You cannot apply for a DHP/ EHP to help pay the following:

  • Service charges within the rent charge that are not covered by the benefit scheme - such as heating, lighting, hot water, and other fuel costs or water rates, sewerage or other environmental costs.
  • Rent arrears.
  • Deductions from any benefit as a result of sanctions to Jobseekers Allowance, Child Support or other benefit related offences.
  • Suspended payments of Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Support.

Security Notice:

Basildon Council may send you a text message requesting further information to support your claim. The sender ID will always appear as BasildonCNL. You will never be asked to respond to the text with information. We advise that all information is sent over using Benefit Contact Us Form where possible.
Powered by GOSS iCM