Search site
Image icon - Information

Housing Assessments

If you are homeless or are about to become homeless and would like some advice on your Housing options visit our Housing Assessments team, based in the Basildon Centre

Basildon Council provides services free of charge to all residents of the borough in order to prevent homelessness. We do this through our own 'In-house' Assessment and Advice Service.

If you approach the Housing Assessments team, we will try to prevent your homelessness. We do this by negotiating on your behalf with:

  • Mortgage lenders and landlords
  • Benefit Agencies
  • Housing Officers

We will also use mediation to assist with differences between yourself and whoever you may have been living with.

Are you eligible for assistance?

Many people from abroad are not eligible for housing assistance, such as those subject to immigration control and those who are not 'habitually resident' in the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Republic of Ireland.

Are you homeless or threatened with homeless within the next 56 days?

Do you, or are you:

  • Have nowhere to stay tonight.
  • Staying somewhere but have no legal right to remain and have to leave.
  • Locked out of your home and been told not to come back.
  • Have somewhere to live but will face violence if you return.
  • Forced to leave your home due to harassment.
  • Have a mobile home but you have nowhere to put it to live in.

Then you may be considered to be homeless or threatened with homelessness and we may be able to help.

It is important to note that if you have a legal right to live in your accommodation and it is reasonable for you to carry on living there, you are not considered homeless.

Priority Needs

You may be considered as priority need if:

  • You or a member of your household is pregnant.
  • You have dependant children.
  • You or a member of your household is elderly or has a physical or mental disability or any other special needs.
  • You have become homeless because of an emergency like a fire or flood.
  • You would face violence if you remain in your home.
  • You have been a member of the Armed Forces for a considerable length of time.
  • You have been in custody for a considerable length of time.
  • If you are 16/17 years old and have not previously been accommodated by Social Services.
  • You have been accommodated by Social Services and are over 21.
  • You have other special circumstances.

Intentionally Homeless

Under the homeless law you are 'intentionally homeless' if you:

  • Deliberately gave up your home when you could have still lived there.
  • Deliberately did or failed to do something which you knew would cause you to lose your home; or
  • Entered into an arrangement that you knew would cause you to leave your home so that the Council could house you.

Local Connection

You may be considered to have a local connection if you:

  • Have previously lived in the Basildon area for at least six months in the last year or three in the past five years; or
  • Work in Basildon (casual work does not count); or
  • Have a close relative living in Basildon who has lived in the area for at least five years; or
  • Have any special circumstances.

If you do not have a local connection with Basildon but have one with another authority, we will ask that Council to help you on your behalf.

If we are satisfied that you are:

  • Homeless
  • In priority need

We will make you an appointment to see a Homelessness Officer. You will be offered interim accommodation whilst enquiries are carried out into all of your circumstances.

What documentation will I need?

Further details of documentation that is needed can be found on the Information Page.


The Council tries to avoid the use of bed and breakfast wherever possible. If you are provided with bed and breakfast we will move you as soon as possible

Interim Accommodation

Basildon Council uses hostels for interim accommodation. These are self-contained units but have shared bathrooms and toilets. They are managed for us by a housing association who have someone available 24 hours a day. If you need support or assistance they can help you while you are staying there.  

  • If we accept a duty to re-house you permanently, we may offer you temporary accommodation.


Men and women who are, or have been subjected to domestic violence or threats, may be entitled to additional help. If you are a Council tenant you may be entitled to a Management Transfer and you should contact your Estate Officer to discuss this possibility.

What if I don't agree with a decision?

If you do not agree with any decision made on your homeless application, you are legally entitled to review. For more information on your right to a review, please see the Review Procedure below.

iCM Form
  1. Label
    1. How should we contact you?:

    2. If you would like to find out more about how Basildon Borough Council use your personal data please go to

    3. Label
Powered by GOSS iCM