Search site

Licence - Riding Establishment

All riding schools must be licensed by Basildon Council's Environmental Health Service to ensure that the person in charge is fit to keep animals and that all instructors are properly qualified.

The Borough's horse and pony riding establishments are inspected in company with the Council's Veterinary Officer to ensure that the horses & ponies are fit, healthy and suitable for use in the school.

Although not generally realised, the hiring out of horses for hacking is also licensable where there is any degree of teaching or supervision involved.

Please read:  pdf icon Standard Conditions for Horse Riding Establishments [7kb]   

Applying for a Riding Establishment Licence 

You can apply and pay for a Riding Establishment Licence online, through the Business Link website, by selecting one of the  links below:

Alternatively you can download an application form (see Related Downloads section) which can be printed and returned to us at the address above.

The licence fee must be paid at the time of application. Please see pdf icon Basildon Council - Schedule of Fees and Charges 2017-2018 [504kb]  for current fees. If no more than 5 horses are kept this fee is reduced. Please contact us for details. There is no fee charged for an extension to a provisional licence.

Please ensure you have read the Standard Conditions above before submitting your application form. In addition to this please note:

  • A licence may be granted to an individual over the age of eighteen years or a Body Corporate
  • It will be a condition of any Licence granted that the carrying on of the business of a riding establishment shall at no time be left in the charge of any person under sixteen years of age.
  • It will be a condition of any Licence granted that no horse will be let out on hire for riding or used for providing instruction in riding without supervision by a responsible person of the age of sixteen years or over unless (in the case of a horse let out for hire or riding) the holder of the Licence is satisfied that the hirer of the horse is competent to ride without supervision.
  •  Under the Riding Establishments Act 1964 and 1970   "Horse" includes any mare, gelding, pony, foal, colt, filly or stallion, and also any ass, mule or jennet.
  • The Act regulates riding establishments which let out horses on hire or use them for the purpose of providing, in return for payment instruction in riding or for the purpose of demonstrating riding.
  • A Licence is valid from the date of issue or from the first day of January next. Please state preference.
  • You are advised to contact Basildon Council's Planning Services to ascertain whether planning permission will be required in respect of your application.

Online applications will be acknowledged by email. Provided your application is properly made, we will aim to process it within 30 working days. If this is not possible, we will inform you and provide an explanation of the reason.

If your application is refused, in the first instance please contact us using the contact details below. Any applicant whose application is refused can appeal to the  Magistrates Court.

Tacit consent does not apply to this application because it is considered to be in the public interest for the local authority to process your application before it is granted. If you have not received a response by the end of the target completion period please contact us at the address above.

If you require any further information or have a complaint about this process please contact us using the details below.

Powered by GOSS iCM