Search site
Image icon - Horse

Horses, Ponies, Donkeys and Riding Establishments

Horses, ponies and donkeys are subject to regulations. Riding establishments require a licence to operate.

Keeping Horses, ponies or donkeys

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 requires you to ensure that any horse, pony, donkey or mule for which you are responsible, whether on a permanent or a temporary basis:

  • has a suitable environment to live in;
  • has a healthy diet;
  • is able to behave normally;
  • has appropriate company; and
  • is protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

Horse Passports

All horses, ponies, donkeys and related animals (including zoo species like zebras) must have a horse passport.

For further information see GOV.UK - Getting and using a horse passport.

Riding Establishment Licences

Basildon Council's Environmental Health Service licenses all riding schools to ensure that the person in charge is fit to keep animals and that all instructors are properly qualified.

For further information see Licence - Riding Establishment.

Fly grazing of horses on land

This is the practice of placing animal on someone else's land without their permission.

If you suspect a horse has been placed on council land or park to graze or someone is using council land or a park to exercise horses without permission please contact us:

If you are a land owner and you have had horses placed on your land without permission, visit the Redwings Horse Sanctuary website who provide useful information on how to tackle this problem.

Useful links

Powered by GOSS iCM