Core Strategy 2007 - 2014
Information regarding the previous versions of the Core Strategy: Preferred Options 2012 and Issues Report 2007
IMPORTANT CHANGE; From March 2012, changes to national planning policy replaced the term 'Local Development Framework' (LDF) with the term 'Local Plan'. Any historic references to the LDF in our documentation should be now considered as if they read 'Local Plan'
Local Plan Core Strategy Revised Preferred Options Report - 2014
Core Strategy Preferred Options Report - November 2012
On the 8th November 2012, the Council's Cabinet formally acknowledged the 3,300 comments that had been made as part of the Core Strategy Preferred Options consultation Feb-Apr 2012. The Cabinet Report and the supporting Statement of Consultation informed the Cabinet of all the comments received, the main issues that were been raised and the recommended responses and actions that should be taken.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the Core Strategy Preferred Options
Core Strategy Public Consultation 27th February - 11th April documents
The following documents were available for public consultation during the Preferred Options Report 2012
Topic Papers 2011
These are the papers that informed and directed the approach that the Core Strategy Preferred Options took.
- Topic 1 - Environment [565kb]
- Topic 2 - Reducing the Effects of a Changing Climate [630kb]
- Topic 3 - Economic Development [564kb]
- Topic 4 - Town Centres and Retailing [544kb]
- Topic 5 - Housing [545kb]
- Topic 6 - Transport and Utilities [568kb]
- Topic 7 - Community Infrastructure [1013kb]
- Topic 8 - Settlement Hierarchy [735kb]
- Topic 9 - The Spatial Options [6Mb]
Sustainability, Strategic Environmental Assessments and Habitats Regulation Assessment
As part of the production of its Core Strategy Preferred Options Report 2012, the Council undertook a SA/SE.
The purpose of this appraisal was to determine the performance, in sustainability terms, of the Core Strategy to assist with the identification of the appropriate policies, predict implications for sustainable development and put forward recommendations for improvement where necessary.
A Sustainability Appraisal Report (SA Report), documenting the findings of the SA process, is being published alongside the Core Strategy Preferred Options, in accordance with the SEA Regulations and SA Guidance.
The SA Report for the Core Strategy Preferred Options Report and its appendices are available below:
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy Preferred Options - February 2012 [687kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 1 SEA Directive Compliance [17kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 2 Scoping Report Consultees list [11kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 3 Plans, Programmes and Policies Review [67kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 4 SA matrices of Strategic Objectives [451kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 5 SA matrices of Spatial Options [470kb]
- Basildon Council - SA Report Core Strategy P O App 6 SA matrices of Core Policies and PADC [728kb]
SA/ SEA Scoping Report and Site Assessment Methodology 2008/2011
All SAs are subject to a Scoping stage, where Statutory Consultees and other bodies are invited to comment on the scope and level of detail of the SA to be carried out for each document.
The Council has consulted on both its Core Strategy SA/SEA Scoping Report and its Site Assessment Methodology & Criteria. This consultation lasted for five weeks (2 July - 6 August 2008) and 32 statutory and specialist organisations were invited to comment on the draft.
The responses are set out in this document Responses to the SA/ SEA Site Assessment Methodology and Criteria [241kb]
Before adopting the SA/SEA Scoping Report and the Site Assessment Methodology and Criteria, the Council consulted, between 21 March and 26 April 2011, the statutory consultees (the Environment Agency, Natural England and English Heritage) in order to confirm they had no further objections.
The responses to this consultation are set out in the following document Statutory Consultee responses to the Consultation on SA/ SEA Criteria [156kb]
On the 2 June 2011, Cabinet adopted:
- Core Strategy Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report - June 2011 [1Mb]
- Site Assessment Methodology and Criteria Adopted June 2011.pdf [477kb]
- LDF Contextual Baseline Report - May 2008 [17Mb]
The SA/SEA Scoping Report defined the Sustainability Appraisal Framework and the 19 Sustainability Appraisal Objectives against which the Core Strategy objectives and policies will be assessed.
The Site Assessment Methodology and Criteria, based on the 19 Sustainability Appraisal Objectives defined in the Scoping Report, was developed to assess the sustainability of potential sites. It is part of the overall SA/SEA process and provided a basic level of assessments to help considering options for land allocations.
Core Strategy Issues Report Consultation Results Published - 19th March 2008
The Council received over 2000 individual responses to its Core Strategy Issues Report Consultation, conducted over six weeks between 22nd October and 30th November 2007. The results of the Core Strategy Issues Consultation were taken into account in the production of the Core Strategy, which will develop a range of options to deal with the issues raised.