Creating Opportunity
Image icon - Information

Housing Transfers

There are two ways of moving home either by applying for a transfer or mutual exchanging your home with landlord permission.

Applying for a housing transfer

Basildon Council's Housing Applications Team administer all stages of the housing transfer process.

If you want to move from your present home to another, you can apply for a transfer.

The first step is to complete and return a Housing Transfer Form

To obtain a Housing Transfer Form please contact Housing Applications Team, see contact details below.

After you have completed a Housing Transfer Form an assessment will be carried out to determine if you have a housing need within terms of Basildon Council's housing allocations policy.

If you are assessed as having a housing need you will be placed in a priority banding and invited to bid for a property using Basildon Council's .

Housing Transfer Inspections

You will be required to pass a Housing Transfer Inspection before being invited to 'bid' for any available properties in the Choice Based Lettings Scheme.

Basildon Council staff will visit your present home to make sure no wilful damage or alterations have been made to either the inside or the outside of the property.

Your home is expected to be maintained in a clean and tidy manner in accordance with the tenancy agreement.

Should the property not meet the required standards your application will be deferred for a period allowing you time to meet the required standard.

Housing transfers for those with medical needs

If you feel that your home is unsuitable for yourself or a member of your family for health reasons you should complete a Medical Priority Form.

To obtain a Medical Priority Form please contact:

  • Housing Applications Team, see contact details below.

Your medical need will be assessed by Basildon Council's Independent Medical Adviser and you will be advised of any medical priority for which you qualify.

This assessment measures the extent to which continuing to live in your current home may be causing further injury to your health.

In other words, this assessment does not measure how ill a person may be, but makes an assessment of how much worse that person's health might become as a result of continuing to live in their current property.

Health issues caused by external social factors, such as noisy neighbours or housing disrepair which are dealt with through other channels, will not on their own be grounds for granting a medical priority.

Have you considered applying for a Housing Mutual Exchange?

For many tenants the best way of finding a more suitable home or moving from one area to another is to find another tenant to swap homes with by Mutual Exchange.

For further information see Housing Mutual Exchange.

Powered by GOSS iCM