Search site
Image icon - Apply

Licence - Club Premises Certificate

Required for clubs such as the Royal British Legions, working men's, cricket or rugby clubs.

The Licensing Act 2003 ("the Act") recognises that volunteer and social clubs give rise to different issues for licensing law than commercially run premises selling direct to the public. These clubs (such as the Royal British Legions, working men's, cricket or rugby clubs) are generally organisations where members join together for a particular social, sporting or political purpose and then combine to purchase alcohol in bulk for its members.

The clubs carry on activities from premises to which public access is restricted and alcohol is supplied other than for profit. For these reasons, the Act preserves aspects of earlier alcohol licensing law which applied to 'registered members clubs' and affords clubs special treatment outside the normal premises licence arrangements.

Clubs which meet specific criteria set out in the Act are known as 'qualifying clubs' and the authority under which they may supply alcohol and conduct other 'qualifying club activities' form their premises is a club premises certificate issued by the licensing authority

The grant of a club premises certificate means that a club is entitled to certain benefits which include the authority to supply alcohol to its members and sell it to guests without the need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence, and the absence of a requirement to specify a designated premises supervisor. There are also more limited rights of entry for the police and other authorised persons, as the premises are considered private and not generally open to the public. 

Applying for a Club Premises Certificate

You can apply and pay for a Club Premises Certificate online, through the Business Link website, by selecting one of the links below:

Alternatively, you can download the application and declaration forms (see Related Downloads) which can be printed and returned to us at the address above.

The fee for an application or renewal of a Club Premises Certificate is based on the rateable value of the premises. Please see pdf icon Basildon Council - Schedule of Fees and Charges 2018-2019 [504kb]  for information regarding current fees.

Please ensure that you have read the guidance notes in the Related Downloads section before submitting your application. In addition to these, you may need to contact Basildon Council's Planning Services to ascertain whether planning permission is required.

Online applications will be acknowledged by email. Provided your application is correctly made, we will aim to process it within 30 working days. If this is not possible, we will inform you and provide an explanation as to the reason.

If your application is refused you will receive notice from the Licensing Authority. If you wish to appeal the decision please contact us in the first instance , see contact details below . Appeals can be made at the Magistrates court within 21 days of the decision. Appeals can also be made against the withdrawing of a club certificate or against the variation of any condition.

Please note that tacit consent applies to all the above with the exception of the minor variation application. With this type of application it is considered to be in the public interest for the local authority to process the application before it is granted. If you have not received a response by the end of the target completion period please contact us at the address shown.

If you require any further information, wish to view the public register or have a complaint about this process please contact us, see contact details below.

Powered by GOSS iCM